• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

70 Evinrude problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Evinrude problems

I've got a 1975 70 hp Evinrude. When i took the boat out the engine would run,but only with the warm up leaver up, then when I tried to throttle up it would die. I'm new to working on outboards, dont know much.Help!!

Re: 70 Evinrude problems

Fireman,We'd like to help. Give us a little history and engine info. Mod# Ser#, etc. The numbers will be located on the engine bracket that attaches to the boat. Usually on the left side, looking from rear.

Comment

The model # is 70573F serial # J0015462. Had the boat a little over 1 year. Ran pretty good last year to me. Felt somewhat slugish on takeoff and takes a few min to plane out. The boat is a 12 ft. Norris Craft bass boat.

Comment

Howdy, Fireman.There must be a misprint here. I read a 12 foot bass boat with a 70hp engine on it. That sounds more like a rocket sled than a bass boat. Even with only 2 cylinders firing it ought to jump out of the water when you open her up.Your symptoms are classical fuel starvation. Set us straight on the details of your boat and some history.Red sky at night. . .JB
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I went back and checked it agian. Its a 1975 16' Norris Craft with a 70 hp Evinrude outboard. The boat is rated up to an 80 hp. Sorry agian. Im still new to boating, about all I know about boats is how to fish out of them If there is anything else you need to know just ask.

Comment

Dont know much history of the boat. Only had it a little over a year. It was my grandfathers, he baught it about two years ago and im left to get it ready this year and he is not around to tell me any history. sorry.

Comment

sounds likes shes runnin lean garbage in the carb ill bet a parshall block of a main jet or air bleed rip off the top air horn of the carb clean it out real good bugs love to crawl thru these tunnels in your carb if it sits for some time ck float leval for get spec if it aint handy, rule of thumb that it be some what level,comon sence thing, have fun, easy on runnin it tillits repair lean engine will lead to dead engine youll fry it in a heartbeat

Comment

Okay, Fireman, I have a better picture now.Your engine needs a complete physical exam.1. Get a service manual that covers it. Clymers has a good one for about $35. It is #B736.2. Run a compression check. All cylinders should compress 100psi or better and be withing 15psi of each other.3. Verify that you can get a 1/2 arc off of each plug wire. Install new plugs.4. Dismantle and clean the fuel pump and all three carbs. Replace any suspected valves, needles and diaphrams. You might want to go ahead and put overhaul kits in.5. Clean and inspect your complete fuel system: Tank cap, tank, pickup, connectors, hoses, primer bulb. No crud, blockage or leaks allowed.6. Check the Throttle/timing linkage and synchronization. Probably okay. Don't mess with it unless it is obviously off.Fresh, 87 octane fuel at 50:1 with TC-W3 oil. Muffs on and water flowing at least 30 sec. Crank her up and see what happens.Let us know.Red sky at night. . .JB
                sigpic

Comment

many thanks guys. Ill try that and let yall know when i get it fixed and how it does.

Comment

thanks guys. It worked. Cleaned carbs and installed new plugs, throttle linkage ok. Have not taken her to the lake yet but she ran great on the muffs, no more idle problems. Hope to get to the lake later this week. Let yall know how she does in the water. Again many thanks. Know a little more now.

Comment

Working...
                    X