How to test power pack?

Nail Head

Cadet
1992 60HP Evinrude has no spark at either coil. I suspect the power pack is bad. I do not have a manual and do not know of a supplier locally. I am a fairly good mechanic and have digital VOM.<br /><br />Is it too much to ask for testing instructions? (I am new to the board.)<br /><br />Thanks for any response.

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to test power pack?

you have two ways to check it one with a peak volt tester along with a manual or a source of knowing how many peak volts on the output of the cd pack or try finding a used cd pack to try to replace.<br />I found a guy who had a blown engine like mine and swap parts until fixed.<br />most mechanics in dealers just swap until fixed its true they try shortcuts<br />but you need manual<br />a peak volt tester has a capaciter inside<br />and gives an average peak voltage.<br />vom meters only resistence and voltage not <br />peak voltage

clanton

Rear Admiral

Unplug large red connector on engine, jumper starter solenoid to turn engine, this will elemanate the switches and most of the wireing harness as a problem. Check all connections on engine harness, esp black/yellow wire from pack.

Nail Head

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.<br /><br />I found a guy who was familiar with the pack and had the test equipment needed to check it out.<br /><br />Long story short, bad pack replaced - fishing again.<br /><br />Thanks!

DorkyDan

Recruit

you have two ways to check it one with a peak volt tester along with a manual or a source of knowing how many peak volts on the output of the cd pack or try finding a used cd pack to try to replace.<br />I found a guy who had a blown engine like mine and swap parts until fixed.<br />most mechanics in dealers just swap until fixed its true they try shortcuts<br />but you need manual<br />a peak volt tester has a capaciter inside<br />and gives an average peak voltage.<br />vom meters only resistence and voltage not <br />peak voltage

Just wondering if you know the capacitance rating of the Capacitor used in a Peak Voltage Meter. Seems that by just buying a similar Capacitor from Radio Shack, you could convert any Volt/Ohm meter to a "Peak Voltage" type meter. (Cheaper than buying a whole new meter ... right?).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Dan - Please don't reply to 13 year old topics. Start a new topic Thanks.