50 HP Evinrude 1983

G DANE

Commander
I was looking at a 50 Hp 1983 Evinrude i am maybe going to buy.<br /><br />Does anybody have experince with this type/model. What shall i look fore except for compression and water in lower unit. It is running and iddling fine.<br /><br />Is there any weak points on this model ?<br /><br />Appreciate your help

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 50 HP Evinrude 1983

Howdy G. Dane.The OMC loop charged twin and triple, introduced around 1970, are truly great engines.<br /><br />If it is a VRO engine, be sure the pump is working properly. <br /><br />Also, remove, clean and reinstall the ground cable to the block at least once per year. It is usually bolted down to a steel plate, rather than to the alloy block itself and corrosion gan get started under the connection.<br /><br />Good luck. It's a great engine.<br /><br />Red sky at night.. .<br />JB :)

G DANE

Commander

Thanks for your advise JB. I think i will buy it. I can get for 750 USD, it seems like a very favourable price, dont you think.

G DANE

Commander

Another question JB :<br /><br />I have a 1984 35HP, fine engine too, dumb question maybee, but is it a crossflow or a looper ? I know carb. and exhaust is opposite og eachother - but ?

JB

Howdy G.Dane. 750USD is a good price for that 50, anywhere.<br /><br />I think your 35 is a cross flow engine. I don't remember when the little three cylinder 25/35 looper was introduced, but if it's a twin it is cross flow, if it's a triple, it is a looper.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

G DANE

Commander

I went to see and hear the 50 HP. The compression was 120 on both, warm condition - isnt it a bit low ? My own 35Hp has 125 cold.<br /><br />Looking at bolts and screws under hood, it looked like motor had been in salt water. The owner had it for 6 yrs and it was not in his time, he says. The motor fired right up, ran fine ( earmuffs without load ) and iddled smooth. However it gave a clacking sound, now and then iddling, disappearing immediately when opening throttle. When crancking by hand, finding piston deadpionts, it seemed as the one rodbearing had more play ( double ) than other. Can it run 6 yrs with a damaged rod bearing, or am i too suspecious ?

G DANE

Commander

BUMP<br />Can anyone give me an advise ?<br /><br />Thanks

JB

Howdy, G Dane. If you are suspicious, pass on it.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)