Shock assist manual tilt.

alcan

Commander
I have an Evinrude 40hp tiller elect. mod E40REESR. The shock is not working properly. The thing lost its assist. Its very hard to tilt motor up. I have no imfo on servicing this unit in any of my manuals. Can anyone shed some lite on me? Are they repairable? There is no visible damage, no fluid leaking. Thanks.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shock assist manual tilt.

There are three places that could be causing your trouble.First look at the cable that makes that unit work.Looks knarly,then remove it from where it screws into the tilt assist unit and ,watching your head,try to make it work by just pulling on the dissasembled cable.No luck? Then remove the upper tilt pin.Sounds easy but these things are often seized so be prepared.Once the pin is out lift the motor up and down by hand.Easy motion,with only a little effort,means assist unit.A good deal of effort means you need to clean the tilt tube bushings.

alcan

Commander

Thank you hondon.<br />The cable and lever seem to be in good working order. I have the shock unit removed from transom clamp. How do I disconect cable from unit? I tried to open allen screws at top and bottom. <br />They are real tight, I didn't sucede. I haven't messed anything up yet. I have serched all my manuals,parts and accessories catalogs,I have no imfo on this thing. What do I need to do to repair it? It acts like it has air in it, it gurggles a little. When I pull up on piston it's hard at first, then it gets a easier. Thank you tons!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Since you have decided to your satisfaction that the tilt assist unit has failed,[and they often do]there is nothing that I am aware of to repair it.You will need to buy a complete tilt unit and the vintage you describe may not allow you to remove that cable.I beleive that came a few years later.Look for a knurled nut at the assist end of that cable.

alcan

Commander

hondon thank you for the help. I have unscrewed the knerled ring. Mybe I just need to be a little more agressive with it. I guess thats why I couldn't find any imfo on the repair of this unit. Looks like it's off to the parts store for me. Thanks again!