35 evinrude won't idle

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced fuel pump,all fuel lines and rebuilt carb. The thing just won't idle. If I can act fast and get it out of the high high idle and ram it in gear and throttle it up quickly it runs fine until I go down about 1/3 throttle. I also have fresh gas.This was doing this a week ago for a few days and cleared up and now it is doing it again the same or worse. pleas help I am running out of ideas. thanks ahead of time :mad:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 35 evinrude won't idle

Ahoy, Signfinder. When you rebuilt the carb, exactly what did you do? Did it include replacing or bore-cleaning the low speed jet? How about the orifice into the carb throat? Did you do a link-n-synch to get the throttle and spark properly synchronized? Are you using a manual or wrench's instinct?<br /><br />By the way, what year is your 'Rude? there have been several in that size range over the years.<br /><br />Let us know about the above.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

yes i do have a omc manual and i did it by it but i did no sync. what is that? this is a 1982 remote evinrude. I put a new carb. gasket kit and I didn't get a new mid range neddle with it but mine looks good as new. I did soak my carb. in some carb. cleaner for 3 or 4 hours.Then I blew all ports of the carb. with compressed air. I have to have this idle lever on my remote lever all the way up to start it and as soon as I lower it even doing it slowly it falls on its face. I even switched tanks. ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. THANKS :eek:

petryshyn

Commander

Waaasssuup signfinder....<br />>how's compression?<br />>have you decarboned it lately?<br />>have you squeezed the primer ball at idle?<br />>does Idle improve if you carefully cover the carb air inlet with your hand?<br />>have you check for spark quality?<br />>how does it start?<br />>if you add a little WD-40 while its attempting to idle, does it help?<br /><br />all this might point us in the right direction.....

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

compression is 150 top and 155 bottom cold motor carb. throttle wired wide open-----then I squirted oil in top cyd. and it read 180----- bottom cyd. with oil squirt 205----- I did this 3 times and this was the average. I then cycled the motor to clear the oil and checked again. 160 top :165 bottom. no I have not ever de-carbonized motor but last year I put a head gasket on and the top of the pistons didn't have hardly any carbon on them.<br />does have spark and it looks good to me but I am new to these outboards. I have one of those inline sparktester and it looked good.<br />It starts up only if you put in high idle and you choke it all the time or it dies!!!<br />I sprayed wd 40 in throttle opening and it keeps it running...<br />I put my hand in front of carb. and if I block off about a 1/3 of the intake it trys to idle. I put about 1 finger in front of it. <br />I elemenated the fuel line by taking quick couplers off fuel line and dropped line right in tank and other end directly to fuel pump. bby the way it is a new pump.complete assembly. ANYBODY PLEASE HELP WILL TRY ABOUT ANYTHING RUNNING OUT OF PATIENTS!!!!!!!!!!THANKS TO ALL :confused: :mad:

petryshyn

Commander

>have you squeezed the primer ball at idle?<br />>have you replaced the plugs?(don't care if they were new)<br />>To check ignition quality, Pull plug wire off of 'engine plug' and install it on an old plug. Widen gap on old plug as wide as you can(break off ground electrode). Hold body tight to block. Ground the other cylinder plug wire to block. Crank engine and observe color and consistent firing. Alternate cyl and try again.<br />>when you say WD-40 keeps it running, is it smooth?<br />>when you partially blocked intake, you say it attempts to idle. Is it smooth idle?<br />>Lean engine and weak ignition can act the same, So eliminate ignition first.<br />>As JB suggests, hows the sync. Thats the linkage that rotates the 'under flywheel' plate assmy. which in turn effects ignition timing. If you operate the throttle, you'll see this assmy moving under the flywheel. If you've done anything to change the relationship between the carb opening and this ignition plate, I'd be suspicious. Also check for excessive play in the linkage, as some may use small rollers to ramp on in slotted linkages and the rollers may go missing. As you are trying to idle it, carefully reach in and tweak the linkage going under the flywheel, by hand.(just within its own play) Does it improve dramatically?<br />>Is there any fuel/oil seeping from around the flywheel area?<br />>does the o/b leave a oil film on the water?<br /><br />Now calm down.....or you'll blow a reed valve...LOL. Its only mechanical!! Now if you were trying to fix a broken heart........

JB

Ahoy, Signfinder. With Schematic's help you have proven that the idle circuit in your carb is plugged. Using your manual, find the low speed jet and run a wire through it, then find the orifice through which it feeds fuel into the carb throat and clear that in the same manner. I don't have the manual on your engine, so I can't be more specific than that. If there is a low speed (idle) adjustment back it out about 1 1/2 turns from the seat and fine tune it later.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

JB

Hmmm. Schematic and I were answering at the same time, so we didn't see one another's post. Ignore any apparent disagreements and do all that is recommended.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

petryshyn

Commander

JB<br />Sorry about that!! I even double check before I hit 'reply' but it still happens...<br /><br />One thing I don't like about his problem is that it was intermittent, and didn't change after carb overhaul. Still suspect ign.<br /><br /> I'm not sure whats inside those inline spark testers. Did you ever take one apart?<br />I'm from the old school and like to hear the snap and see the color of an arc when testing available voltage......LOL

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

I squeezed primer bulb at idle and it didn't change a thing.<br />I replaced plugs.<br />Took electrode off old plug and did as you said and had a good blue spark on both cyds.<br />When I sprayed wd40 in carb throat it idled smoothly.<br />When I partialy blocked carb intake it idled but rough.<br />I also had a extra power pack so I tried it and had the same results.<br />The plate ass. under the flywheel lines up with my carb roller like the book says. roller isn't even worn.<br />I believe I did it right??<br />I turned by hand counterclockwise and set my carb linkage to it.<br />I even moved it while it is running to get it to work.When I do this the motor revs up....<br />Yes I think it does leave a film on the water??/ :mad:

petryshyn

Commander

sounds lean alright.........<br /><br />>As JB says, what happens when you adjust idle mixture screws?<br />>As JB says, be sure the timing is correctly set. What bothers me is that you said it speeds up when moving timing plate under flywheel. Does it smoothen out? or just speed up.<br />>Take some WD-40 and spray the joint between crankcase housings while running. Any effect?<br />>the part that bugs me is that you say the problem was intermittent. Is that for sure? <br />>If so how often?

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

When I adjust idle mix screw it starts to sputter when I let it down to that proposed idle speed and when I screw it in it will act worse.<br />When I turn the timing plate by hand the motor will accelerate and smooths out.<br />I sprayed wd40 between crankshaft case halves and did not appear to make a difference.Like I said on the water if I can get it going long enough and ram it in gear it has good midrange and full rev. no miss or nothing.<br />Thanks for all the help again.Have you got anymore ideas? Could it be the stator? <br />The intermittent problem I was talking about is I'd go and use it FOR 2 DAYS and it ran fine then I go today and it might be ok it is not heat related.<cause it worked ok yesterday till noon and then I brought it home and started working on it. And here I am working on it again and it is acting the same as yesterday, terrible

petryshyn

Commander

>If it was a stator problem,you should see a weak or intermitent spark. You said you had good spark, but was it acting up when you checked it?<br />>When you did carb, was there dirt in float bowl?<br />>Is it possible that dirt or rust is floating around and blocking off idle ports intermittently?<br />>take idle needle out of carb. blow in needle bore GENTLY with compressed air from atleast 1" AWAY. If you get too close you could damage fuel pump valve and filter assmy. Reinstall neeedle > adjust as per JB's post and retry. If better, dirt, rust scum is your problem.........

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

took jet out and also took hose off at pump coming from the carb. then blew air thru the needle jet opening . I even put right up to it to blow what ever is there if anything out. It ran the same afterward. also when I did have the carb. off yesterday it was all clean as a pin . As far as yesterday afternoon and today it has not idled on it's owe attire. Anymore ideas? Why does it run ok spraying wd 40 in the throat? Do carbs ever go bad? I did look under a magnifing glass at the carb. when I had it off yesterday to look for cracks in it or anything abnormal. thanks again anymore ideas??????/

petryshyn

Commander

I for one have never seen a carb fail beyond repair, but thats me. I guess its possible. I've replaced shafts, machined and rebushed housings and even repaired cracks. If you cleaned it thoroughly, and blew air through each passage, I can't see it being bad. I think we've proven its lean at idle. Look for any air leaks to crankcase:<br /><br />>loose fuel pump mounting(air leak to crankcase)<br />>did you replace carb base gasket?<br />>this has a choke valve not a primer, correct?<br />>when it idles poor, is there any spitting back out of carb? (reeds)<br />>and last and hardest to prove(leaking crank seals)so rare I hate to mention it. I've run into this on small engines. Will require removing power head to check. Make sure all other possibilities are addressed. If lower seal leaking, it may leave a slick on the water, but other problems may do this as well. Don't jump to this conclusion until all else has been checked.........

JB

Hmmm. The intermittent nature of the problem has me confused, too. It seems that there has to be a loose something somewhere that moves to one place and allows an adequate idle mixture, then moves somewhere else and causes lean-out.<br /><br />You need to pull the carb again, Signfinder, to inspect the reed plates and to run a wire through the low speed fuel passages. <br /><br />If you have reeds standing partly open, take them off, burnish both sealing surfaces flat with very fine sandpaper, turn them over and reinstall. <br /><br />Your low speed fuel passages are probably clean from the air, but your symptoms still scream "plugged!!", as Scematic points out. Give particular attention to the tiny hole in the throat that is just behind where the throttle plate seats.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

pulled carb again reeds look like they are sealing good.<br />ran a torch tip cleaner thru all the holes in the idle circuit in the carb, then squirted sea foam thru the idle speed adjuster hole and it came thru the carb. body venturi. It was not plugged...I then blew air thru it...<br />seems like problem is getting worse!!!!!But it could be because I am not getting the mixture screw set right... :mad:

JB

I sympathize with your frustration, Signfinder, but you are making progress every time you eliminate another suspect.<br /><br />To be honest, I am out of ideas right now. Maybe Schematic has thought of something else. <br /><br />If I get any new ideas, I'll post. Meanwhile, good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

petryshyn

Commander

Hello again....<br /><br />>while maintaining the lowest idle speed possible, back out idle mixture screw as far as needed to get best idle.Slow speed a little more and re-adjust idle screw. Try to achieve the best and lowest idle speed possible. While maintaining this speed, drench the outside of carb, fuel pump and underside of flywheel with WD-40. Does idle increase? This will determine if the carb has a drilling plug(lead plug) missing, and if the fuel pump gasket to block is leaking, or if top crank seal leaking.<br /><br />recap :( probably should all be rechecked)<br /><br />>compression OK<br />>spark quality blueish white and consistant<br />>fresh fuel and proper mix<br />>carb to timing synchronization to spec<br />>plugs are new <br />********do the plugs look the same when inspected?<br />>reeds are OK<br />>carb has been cleaned and set up to spec<br />>crankcase is not leaking<br />>no bleeder lines off<br />>unit runs good if WD-40 is added<br />>unit leaves slick on lake<br /><br />all I have left.......is a leaking lower crank seal or defective carb.