Evinrude, 18hp (Fastwin) 1971- Gearcase Lube?

Wayfarer

Recruit
Can any one confirm that I should use p/n 174977 (Premium Blend)as opposed to Hi-Vis or Ultra-HPF synthetic? This model is not an electric shift, but the recommended usage on all these labels seem somewhat ambiguous. Thx. <br /> :confused:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude, 18hp (Fastwin) 1971- Gearcase Lube?

You want to use a 90wt Hypoid Gear oil. I beleive the OMC version is called Premium Blend.<br />- Scott

alwyncarty

Recruit

I have a 1957 Evinrude 18hp fastwin and would like to know what lubricant to be used in the lower unit. Also, what is the oil-gas ratio mix for this engine? I have a 4 gallon tank.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi alwyncarty and Wayfarer. You'll both want to use standard 80/90w hypoid outboard lower unit gear oil. It's available at any boating store as well as Walmart and may auto parts stores. There are many brands, but I don't think it makes a huge difference. You'll also need a small hand pump to get the oil into the gearcase itself. Be sure you change the white, nylon washers on the DRAIN/VENT screws as well. They're a one time use only item. Also, make sure you DO NOT touch the small phillis head screw on the LU. Here are a few pics of what you'll need as well as a lint to a how-to vid. I would check the oil again in a few trips to see if there is any water intrusion. If so, the oil will turn milky, at which point you may want to think about resealing the lower unit with new oil seals. It's a mid level DIY job that can be done in an afternoon for under $50.

lower unit oil.jpgLU oil pump.jpg

How to Change Gear Oil in an Old Outboard Motor - YouTube

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

12 year old thread!!!