Evinrude 140 Skeg (lower Unit) removal and VRO fitting

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some may remember me as a novice mariner in Oman without a manual. That has now been sorted and hopefully I will take delivery of one soon. But....<br /><br />I have been given a spare engine without the power head- all ancillaries though.<br /><br />I wish to replace the lower unit with my spare. I see 5 bolts holding it to the gearbox - but I can't split it. No amount of bashing serarates it. Is there something else I must do. I can't see anything.<br /><br />I also have the full oil system so I can have auto oil injection system.<br /><br />Does anyone know how to connect it and is it easy without a drawing. How is it set up once connected?<br /><br />Appreciate any help.<br /><br />NG

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 140 Skeg (lower Unit) removal and VRO fitting

I think you'll find the the more knowledgable on this forum will say don't re -connect your VRO and run a 50-1 premix instead.<br /><br />If you have no history of the engine, this would be the more sensible and easisest option.

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The VRO oil pump is also the fuel pump, they are the same part. It pumps both and mixes. If you dont have the VRO pump it's worthless, new pump about $200. Just mix it! Lower unit will drop as long as shift rod is disconnected under bottom carb.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gents, <br /><br />Thanks for the replies so far. I have all the VRO equ. including pump etc. Is it really a bad idea to go from manual mix?<br /><br />I have the power head off so all I see is the gearbox shaft and another small shaft which is what I presume to be the forward/reverse selector??? Should the skeg now come adrift ??