Johnson seahorse jumps out of gear???

Kybuck

Cadet
I have a Johnson seahorse 10hp model #QD-16<br />serial #1324053. I don't know what year it is. When running and shifted into forward it will stay in gear for about 5 sec. and then jumps into neutral. It runs fine in reverse it only does it in forward thanks for any help you can give.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Johnson seahorse jumps out of gear???

Sounds like the sprags are worn rounded off the shift hub and forward gear. Disassemble and inspect hub and gear is all I can think of.

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

When these motors do this it is almost always a worn shift clutch. A good trick is to disassemble the lower unit and turn it around on the shaft so the worn teeth are now used in reverse where jumping out of gear is a lot easier to put up with. Even better, replace the clutch but make sure the gears aren't too badly worn first.

mnkelsner

Cadet

Did you ever resolve you problem with motor jumping out of forward ?<br /><br />I have a QD 16, the skag crack from freezing and we jb welded it until it wore down gears now it jumps out of gear.<br /><br />Got a FD 11 57 18hp that we want to try and use lower unit for parts... <br /><br />Question is do we have to replace from powerhead down or just foot ?