• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

need tool to remove endcap of trim cylinder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need tool to remove endcap of trim cylinder

GREETINGS ALL\ need to find the right tool to remove the trim end cap on a 1986 200 evinrude , i have tried looking on line but have come up empty, i could try to make one but it would not be the same,and i need to get a good turn on it since the last owner let things go, thanks in advance Mr GIBBS

Re: need tool to remove endcap of trim cylinder

Mr Gibbs,Have you tried Sears for a Spanner Wrench? They should have one that will work or you could get one from the dealer$$$. It is part omc # 326485 for the end cap remover and omc # 912084 for the spanner wrench. Either will work, but I would make one or go to a Metal Fabricating shop with the dimensions and have them make the basic tool. You could then drill out the Metal and install pins wherever needed. Also below is a site where you can buy Spanner Wrenches. Spanner Wrench
    Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
    2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

Hey just made mine earlier tonight. 6'' crescent wrench drilled holes in the points. 5/32 use two bits upside down adjust too fit. Simple but it worked great!

Comment

I made a spanner out of 2 8 inch pieces of angle iron and 3 small bolts. Drill a hole in each end of the angle iron pieces, the same size as the holes in the trim cap. Bolt one end of the angle irons together and install bolts and nuts in the other end of the angle iron. Now you can adjust the spanner to fit most any trim end cap.

Comment

take a piece of 1/4 inch flat iron. cut it to go aroud the piston / take a piece of paper and lay across the top of the cylinder , take a pencil and scribe across until you see the bolt holes in the top of the cap/ lay that over your piece of iron and center and drill the holes / get # 5 or #8 hardened bolts and tap the holes for the proper thread size / this way thay are adjustible for the depth of the holes in your end cap/ that's it and you have the tool / either tilt cylinder or you can make one for the trim cylinders

Comment

ez to make.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            See FAQ Files.
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
            www.outboardbooks.com
            www.*****************

Comment

Originally posted by shane68 View Post
              Hey just made mine earlier tonight. 6'' crescent wrench drilled holes in the points. 5/32 use two bits upside down adjust too fit. Simple but it worked great!
              This is the way to go, The spanner wrench is $$ exspecially OMC's.
              I used an 8 inch wrench drilled 7/32 and tapped to 1/4-20 ran some bolts in and it worked easily. Best of all I did not spend anything and it is adjustable so the hole's did not have to exact. Thanks great solution!

Comment

Working...
              X