1971 9.5 Johnson..new impellor no water!

wind knot

Seaman
I just put a new impellor in, now I have no water pumping?. Accept a couple broken impellor housing bolts, changing it went pretty smoothly. Do you need to prime it some how, or should water be visible fairly quickly?.<br /><br />Thanks, Darrell :confused:

wind knot

Seaman
Re: 1971 9.5 Johnson..new impellor no water!

I guess when you put the impellor and housing back on, you should put the machined surfaced plate back in first! :eek: <br />Boy do I feel stupid. :rolleyes:

wind knot

Seaman

Well back together the right way now, but still no water!. I took out the thermostat and it is corroded badly, and by the paint has never been changed. After the engine cools, can I prime it from there?.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Outboard impeller pumps are by their nature self-priming. As long as the water pickup (under the anti-ventilation plate) is in the water, it should pump.<br />If you start the engine now with no thermostat, you should get lots of water shooting up through the hole (Messy, but then you know the impeller is working). If not, be certain that the water tube ended up in the water outlet on the pump. Also, if the old impeller fell to bits, those bits may be clogging something.<br />But it sounds like your on the right track with the thermostat.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

when you installed the water pump are you sure you installed it right. also whats the key in drive shaft when you installed the impeller. the little pin (keyway)easly drops out of the shaft and you wont know it.<br />P.S. get a manual haha

aero320

Seaman Apprentice

There is a tube that extends up from the later pump (lower unit) that carries the water up into the block. Make sure that is is installed correctly, otherwise the water does not make it to the block. Had that happen on a Johnson 50 one time. Just an oversite when I reinstalled the lower unit.

wind knot

Seaman

When you pull the lower unit, should the drive axle come out with it?. The tech at a local marine store here, say's it should have?.

wayne h

YES it should have if it did not you lost the pin (keyway) look on the drive shaft and see if you see a hole in it. it will not go all the way though if there is no pin in there thats your problem without a pin it will not turn the waterpump impeller

wind knot

Seaman

I have the pin , but the drive axle is in the power head :mad: Can I just wiggle and pull until it comes out?. Otherwise trying to line the pin up with the impellor key way will be hit and miss.<br /><br />P.S Wayne, I could really use that manual about now :p

wayne h

yes that drive shaft will come out of the powerhead unless its rusted in there alot of people never grease it when they put them back together. i grease both ends of the drive shaft(alot) and a light coat on the whole shaft itself.is the waterpump outlet un the tube where the lower unit goes in ? there is a brass tube that brings the water to the powerhead.there should be a rubber grommet on the waterpump housing where the tube goes in.if you have the lower end apart blow air up that tube just to make sure nothing is stuck in it.when you installed the waterpump impeller did you make sure you had the vains going the right way ?(the way the engine turns when its running)

wind knot

Seaman

I blew out the lower unit, but not the copper tube to the power head (i'll do that). If I had the vains on the impellor running the wrong way, wouldn't it correct it self, or are the tolerences so close that it won't.

wayne h

well when you installed that waterpump it should not have just went together easy the vains bend and go inside the housing if you had it the wrong way it would mess up the pump.

wind knot

Seaman

The water passages are all clear. The drive axle is stuck and will not come out of the power head :eek: I guess i'll have to try and align the pin and impellor key way, by eye?.

wayne h

i would get some pb blaster and set the engine upside down and spray the rod up really good so it runs down the shaft to the powerhead. leave it for a few hours and try again. i would get that shaft out of there because it kinda floats in there moving up and down

wind knot

Seaman

Well, I put it back together and still no water. After taking it apart AGAIN there is evidence that the impellor was turning(can see swirl marks, in water pump housing)!. Is there a possibility of an air lock?. :confused:

Xcusme

Commander

Since you can see the swirl marks on the wear plate, I'll assume you're right about the pump impeller turning. You said "The water passages are all clear" are they ?? An obstruction in the water cooling passages can sometimes pass air , but not water.<br /><br />You should really pump water from a garden hose up the copper water tube. If your motor has a tell-tale (pee hole), you'll see water spraying out. If you're thermostat is out, you'll certainly get alot of water out of that opening as well.<br /><br />
hosebarb.jpg
<br />Stop by you're friendly home improvement center and pickup a garden hose barb, 2 small hose clamps and a short length of rubber hose. Connect one end of the rubber hose to the end of the water tube and clamp it down. Insert the hose barb into the other end of the rubber hose and clamp it as well. Connect a garden hose and turn on the water. If you see very little water leaving the motor, then you definitely have a blockage. At the top of the water tube, there should be a rubber or plastic grommet. If your motor has had a bad overheat, this grommet can get deformed and can block the water flow to the power head.

wind knot

Seaman

Thanx for the tip Xcusme, I'll check both though's area's as well. Right now I have the motor up side down, soaking in liquid wrench to see if I can remove the drive shaft in the AM.

wayne h

liquid wrench wont work if it does i would be surprized.get PB blaster that stuff is liquid gold it has never let me down

wind knot

Seaman

Liquid Wrench is what I had in the shop at the time. If It doesn't work I'll try and find some PB.<br /><br />Wayne you have mail.<br />Thanx, Darrell

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You gotta get that driveshaft out in order to do it right, otherwise you're chasing your tail. Pick a spot on the driveshaft that doesn't wear on a bearing and clamp a pair of Vice-Grips down on it. Tap the driveshaft out by hitting downwards on the V-Gs. The shaft is stainless steel, so it shouldn't be stuck permanently. Make sure there's an o-ring in the groove at the top of the shaft and make sure the splines are liberally greased before reassembling. Lower splines need not be greased, as they will be submerged in 90-wt....<br /><br />The vains on the impeller are self-righting so installing "backwards" won't hurt a thing.<br /><br />- Scott