Lower Unit Oil Screw sealed shut

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
I went to go change out the lower unit gear oil on my outboard I bought just to be safe. I am having trouble getting the two screws out of the foot. I have even tried an impact screwdriver with no luck. What's my next option? Air drill or something?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Oil Screw sealed shut

I have removed many thousands of those screws and have never seen one that would not come out with a hand impact screwdriver. After all, the threads are constantly bathed in oil, so no corrosion takes place there. Um.....the big "however" is perhaps it is full of water and not oil. If that is the case, you have a lot more trouble than just a stuck plug.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Idk if I just didn't use the impact screwdriver right or what. But it didn't seem to work at all. Could I try like a dewalt drill or air drill? I drove it around about an hour the other week. It ran fine. If it were full of water and I ran it that long something would have happened then right?

kbait

Commander

Likely run quite a long time filled w/water.. at least it stays cool. Run empty = quickly wrecked. Hold the tip end of the impact driver and turn the handle like you're tightening. Now it's in the correct (loosening) position. Put on the slotted screw, hold handle, turning 'loosen' slightly, and give it a good, solid rap w/the hammer, after supporting the other side of the lower unit. It MUST come loose.. at least all the ones I've done so far..

Good luck!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put the impact driver on the screw. Then twist it as if you're going to loosen it with some pressure. Then give it a good whack with a big hammer.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
No I never got it loosened. What's my next step? My buddy said to put the motor on its side and,spray wd40 on it a couple Times a day for a week and just keep trying,to wiggle it. What's the next easiest step since the impact screwdriver didn't work?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get your impact driver and a Mapp gas torch, put some heat around it and try again.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Dumb question but you did have the impact driver set to loosen didn't you? Don't ask why I would ask that question. Good luck

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
^^^^
Worth verifying.

Someone tried to explain in an earlier post how you set an impact driver, but it is extremely hard to describe and some tools are different. If I set mine using my interpretation of those instructions, it would be backwards for the tool I have.
It is a low-frequency of use item for me, and I never remember how to set it for tightening or loosening. I just spend 15-20 seconds and reacquaint myself with it using common sense.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the slot is still in fair shape, I would try a large flathead screw driver with square shaft and a vise grip and put your belly against the butt of the screw driver.

a70eliminator

Captain
Ox/aceyteline torch works great, you have to adjust the flame for a very fine hot blue tip using a small torch head, you quickly put the flame front on the screw ONLY (very important) because the aluminum can go away rather quickly, hold the tip of the blue flame diresctly on the screw and it will get red hot in about 5 seconds, pull the fire away and let cool, the screw will now come loose with ease, works every time.
If you are even the slightest bit weary about doing this then please DON'T try it. I myself would do every day and twice on Sunday without incident.

Reactions: Fed

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You want to expand the material around the screw, not the screw !!

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
I'm actually very good with an oxy/acetylene torch. Use one a good bit because I'm a fireman. So boobie do I heat the screw heat around it like you're sayin on the lower unit itself? I'm willing to try it. I just need the best verification on which to heat. The screw or the metal around it? What if I just go ahead and buy a new screw and orings when I'm finished. Should I just heat the screw then so I don't risk the lower unit

Fed

Commander
Did you confirm the direction of the impact driver?
I always put the tip on the ground and push down to make sure it turns in the desired direction.
There's something about them that makes you think they should go the wrong way, a little head spin like a bendix if you get my meaning.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Did you confirm the direction of the impact driver?
I always put the tip on the ground and push down to make sure it turns in the desired direction.
There's something about them that makes you think they should go the wrong way, a little head spin like a bendix if you get my meaning.

^^^^
Pretty good explanation.... :)

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
I got her boys!!!! Took a lighter and heated it and kept the flame moving constantly. Took the impact screwdriver and gave one wack and came loose. Thanks,for the help

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've always heated the area around the bolt, screw or what ever. If your using an oxy/ace torch when the aluminum puddles you know you got it to hot. LOL.