1971 6R-71E johnson 6hp fuel pump question

billygee

Cadet
Have an oldie 71 6hp Johnson that runs great, but will be needing a fuel pump as I have to squeeze the bulb at times to keep fuel to the carb,
my question is: all the pumps have been revised to the 388685 which is beyond my budget for this motor.
is there a fix, (mod another pump), or another pump that one can use to keep the cost down? :confused:

billygee :rolleyes:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1971 6R-71E johnson 6hp fuel pump question

have you taken it apart to see if its not just one of the gaskets gone?

billygee

Cadet

have you taken it apart to see if its not just one of the gaskets gone?

Bosunsmate

thanks for the quick response, as the gaskets are good but, i feel if I split the pump the blatter may not fit again and that is where I feel the problem lies, (ruptured, or deformed) in which case I can't seem to locate a kit or blatter for that particular one.
open to suggestions :confused:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

sorry not sure about this one, someone else might be up to speed on it
i see what you mean about being pricey, cheapest i can see it for is $70ish

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The factory has repair kits available for that simple little pump !!----May not be listed for a 1971 model so you have to keep looking at different years / models. Was also used as a vapour extractor on 1998 models.------Yes the repair kits are available and come with a comprehensive set of instructions too.

billygee

Cadet

The factory has repair kits available for that simple little pump !!----May not be listed for a 1971 model so you have to keep looking at different years / models. Was also used as a vapour extractor on 1998 models.------Yes the repair kits are available and come with a comprehensive set of instructions too.

racerone

been researching that availability, and the closes-est I've come is the Sierra 18-7350 pump with a 18-7823 kit,
the only draw back is the statement that the kit will not fit motors prior to 1981, yet they do appear to be the same pump from the PICs I've viewed. can anyone confirm either or ?:confused:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I do not know what took place after 1981. But prior to that, there were several versions of that pump. The differences were the direction that the hose fittings pointed. That is of utmost importance if trying to repair one. You must follow the instructions to the letter. There are several wrong ways to assemble it.

Having said all that, there was another "gotcha". There was a year or two that they cheapened them on the inside. That version was pure garbage from the get-go. Whether or not you have that one, I have no clue. how lucky are you?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When the motor is cold and not running, can you squeeze the bulb until it get really hard, and no gas squirts out? Not near the hoses, carb, pump etc?

Also, is the fitting that goes into the gas tank good and sealed?

Any leaks anywhere will cause what you're describing.

billygee

Cadet

I do not know what took place after 1981. But prior to that, there were several versions of that pump. The differences were the direction that the hose fittings pointed. That is of utmost importance if trying to repair one. You must follow the instructions to the letter. There are several wrong ways to assemble it.

Having said all that, there was another "gotcha". There was a year or two that they cheapened them on the inside. That version was pure garbage from the get-go. Whether or not you have that one, I have no clue. how lucky are you?

F_R

Thanks for the Heads Up of encouragement :eek:

I now at least know it's a crap shoot and went ahead and ordered a kit for a little under 12$, only time will tell on the "Gotcha" but didn't want a tear down without having at least some gaskets. LOL

Thanks to all for your input:wave:

Humperdink

Cadet
you have the square fuel pump. it is the same fuel pump as many many other OMC outboards. as stated in a previous post, the inlet and outlets simply point in different directions for different motors. For example, i could take the pump off my 80' 15hp and reconfigure it to go on my 66' or 72' 6hp, or even my 69 9.5hp if i wanted to. The direction of the inlet/outlet dictates the orientation of gaskets/layer/spring inside the pump.

Buy a rebuild kit for any motor that uses the square fuel pump and use the info on leeroys ramblings to rebuild it if it does not come with instructions. it will cost you a little over 20$ and a good bit of swearing if you've never done it before. there is a small spring that takes some finessing to seat properly. i see new ones one the internet slightly over 40$ regularly as well.

billygee

Cadet
Buy a rebuild kit for any motor that uses the square fuel pump and use the info on leeroys ramblings to rebuild it if it does not come with instructions. it will cost you a little over 20$ and a good bit of swearing if you've never done it before. there is a small spring that takes some finessing to seat properly. i see new ones one the internet slightly over 40$ regularly as well.

Humperdink

Thanks for your input

(The rebuild was not an issue, as much as getting the correct kit)
, being a diversified mechanic since the 60's (diesels, to outboards, even weed wackers) we are still dealing with the internal combustion engine, it's the technology that has changed and applied (building a better mouse trap ) so this pump was no big deal.

The Kit Arrived with no instructions, tear down revealed a broken, collapsed spring, in which the gaskets still looked good, but were replaced, as there were plenty extras that came with the kit. ;)

Needless to say Everything's Good Purrr's Right Along :israel: