25 hp Evinrude Prop Seal ???

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1995 Evinrude 25 hp that I an trying to replace the prop seals on before selling. Does the prop bearing carrier unscrew or just pull out with a puller? If it unscrews- which direction do you turn it to unscrew it? I broke a carrier on an old Merc one time tapping it with a punch trying to get it to unscrew, so I am trying to be extra careful on this one. Thanks for any suggestions in completing this job.

Also, I just put an new impeller on this and have a lower unit seal kit. I read in another post that you should change the shift shaft seal when changing the prop seals, Is that something I can do without dropping the lower unit- again- once I get the bearing carrier out of this thing ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 25 hp Evinrude Prop Seal ???

yep those old mercs are hard to get out, i had a red band salty, would tempt my patience.
Im pretty sure itl just come out, someone else will confirm but i havent come across a screwed in one yet.

you will need to drop lu to access shift shaft seal

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The propshaft seals are in the bearing housing, that is held in place by screws. If you look at a parts breakdown you will see the screws that hold the bearing housing in place.

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The propshaft seals are in the bearing housing, that is held in place by screws. If you look at a parts breakdown you will see the screws that hold the bearing housing in place.

That is what I thought, but the inside of the prop shaft case/lower unit is threaded so I was not sure that it might not screw out like on a Mercury 25 hp. So, just take out the two bolts that are about 3 inches inside the bearing carrier and then pull it straight out, right? I guess the two threaded holes on the bearing carrier that have nothing in them are to put bolts in to use a gear puller tool, right?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yep, you got it figured out.