Evinrude XP 200 Shift Interrupter Switch

gh338

Cadet
So I have a motor that won't shut off with the key. When I turn the key off it stays running on 3 cylinders. I traced the black and yellow wires back to the motor and have continuity from key switch to motor. Thinking it was a bad powerpack I replaced that and it still is doing the same thing. I know for sure the one side is working correctly but the other side seems to be routed to a shift interrupter switch and then back to the powerpack. Can someone explain what that switch does and how it functions? How would that switch keep my motor from turning off?

The black and yellow from the plug splits off into two a "Y" and then one goes directly to powerpack and the other runs to the shift interrupter switch and then back up to the powerpack. Does this sound right? I am at a loss here..

Thanks for any help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude XP 200 Shift Interrupter Switch

So I have a motor that won't shut off with the key......... The black and yellow from the plug splits off into two a "Y" and then one goes directly to powerpack and the other runs to the shift interrupter switch and then back up to the powerpack. Does this sound right?

You do not state what year that engine is so I have no way of knowing if you have two powerpacks or one.

The shift interrupter switch interrupts the igniton on the starboard bank for just a microsecond, so quick that it isn't noticed. It's purpose is to cancel the ignition on that starboard bank so that the engine can be shifted OUT of gear easily. There are some boat and propeller combinations whereas if not for that switch, the amount of torque being applied to the shifter dog and gear would make it impossible to shift out of gear... even at idle speed.

If the shift switch were shorted out... there would be no ignition/spark to the starboard bank.

At the "Y" at the large electrical connector..... One black/yellow lead (kill circuit) does go directly to the powerpack... the other black/yellow lead goes to "both" the powerpack and the shift switch, otherwise (with the shift switch being normally open) turning the key to the OFF position would kill the port bank only.

Check the continuity between the Black/yellow wires at the "Y" and the powerpack(s)... Sounds like you have a wire break or a faulty connection (small rubber plug pin/socket connector?).

racerone

Supreme Mariner

When motor is in gear and you are shifting to nuetral is when that switch comes into play.-------It momentarily shuts off 3 cylinders so that you can shift out of gear easily.

gh338

Cadet

Sorry forgot about the year! It is an 88

gh338

Cadet

Here is a quick diagram of what I see happening
shutoff wiring.jpg

gh338

Cadet

At the "Y" at the large electrical connector..... One black/yellow lead (kill circuit) does go directly to the powerpack... the other black/yellow lead goes to "both" the powerpack and the shift switch, otherwise (with the shift switch being normally open) turning the key to the OFF position would kill the port bank only.

So off of the Y from the electrical connecter plug one goes directly to the powerpack, The other goes directly to the switch and then back up from there to the power pack. Is that correct? Or should it go into another Y and one goes to powerpack and one to switch? If it goes directly to switch and back up how does it ever work when the key is turned off?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

One of the diodes in that harness could be bad.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The other goes directly to the switch and then back up from there to the power pack. Is that correct?

No.... It does not go thru the switch and then to the pack.... It's another "Y" connection where the black/yellow goes to the pack and branches off to the switch at the same time.... in parallel, not in series.
1PkKillCircuit-2_zpsda17f722.jpg

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Then what are the diodes for in the harness ??

gh338

Cadet

Thanks for all the info so far.

what exactly is the diode used for?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Then what are the diodes for in the harness ??

I'll need to refresh my memory on the wiring diagram tomorrow as the alarm is set right now and I can't get to them... However, what pops into my mind at the moment is the diode prevents one pack of a dual pack setup... OR... one portion of a single pack setup from conflicting with the opposing portion... to prevent two cylinders from firing at the same time.

EDIT: 05/20/14 10:36 EDST... The above is incorrect (sorta). The diode that would allow dual cylinders to fire if faulty is within the powerpack(s)... The diode within the wiring harness prevents the shift switch from shorting out BOTH banks when it engages.

Last edited: