1980 evinrude 35hp idle

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK so I am trying to bring this motor back to life and it's now Running great at high idles, like if I advance the throttle as if to cold start it (even while in gear in the water), but if I drop it down below that point it dies. I'm at a loss as what to do to solve this.

I completely rebuilt the carburetor and made sure all jets are clear of obstruction, changed the fuel lines and got it new spark plugs.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1980 evinrude 35hp idle

Tiller or remote engine? Assuming there is no tach to tell you the idling speed.

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1980 evinrude 35hp idle

It's a remote motor style, no tach. I've had it out on the water and it ran good, but if I drop the throttle to what I feel should be a good level it stalls. I haven't striped it down to the reeds yet, so I don't know their condition.

squirly

Cadet
Have a similar gremlin on my 35hp... You can give the reeds a rough check if you take off the carb and shine a torch with a focused beam inside the intake, but doubt you have any broken reeds. Keep the plugs in but take the ht leads off and ground them, crank it over while looking inside and check for any spit back through the reeds that might not be closing fully... Does the motor start to die once the cam follower roller approaches or gets past the two marks on the cam? Thats what mine does, but its intermittent and its killing me. Have you checked compression?