28hp Johnson shorted something out while swapping batteries, motor lacking power

Tom 306

Recruit
Hey y'all,
Need some help with a power problem, I believe I shorted something out when swapping batteries. I have a 1990 Johnson 28hp spl motor that ran great. In a rush while swapping out a dead battery, I crossed the cables. I heard a hiss of something arcing for a moment, like a second or two. I had only touched the wrong battery terminal for 3-4 seconds total. I checked the motor for any obvious damage, arcing, burned wiring and saw nothing visible. I proceeded to start it and it does start and idle, although it does make a popping sound every now and then. But the bigger issue is it stumbles at initial full throttle, you have to ease on the throttle, it momentarily feels strong, then quickly tops out and wont get the boat fully on plane.
I checked for spark at both cylinders, it appears to be strong at both. Don't know what to check from here. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 28hp Johnson shorted something out while swapping batteries, motor lacking power

Is it charging battery when running?
Often the rectifier/reg is the first thing to go when cables get crossed. On some motors the motor wont run right if that is blown

Tom 306

Recruit
Re: 28hp Johnson shorted something out while swapping batteries, motor lacking power

Is it charging battery when running?
Often the rectifier/reg is the first thing to go when cables get crossed. On some motors the motor wont run right if that is blown

I will check that tomorrow, thank you!