77 Evinrude 6hp need help with lower unit reassembly

jake7788

Cadet
Hello,
So here's my problem... Removed the lower unit from my 77 Evinrude 6hp to change impeller and now when I put it back together I only have neutral and reverse.
With the lower unit dropped about half an inch and the shifting linkage reattached it seems to shift through just fine. However when I bolt it on (even if I force the shift lever to stay in reverse while installing) it feels like it won't move far enough forward to shift into forward gear. Anyone know any tricks to getting this thing back together in working order? The model number is 6704M.
Thanks in advance.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 77 Evinrude 6hp need help with lower unit reassembly

Im not sure about this motor, never worked on it but thought id check you have turned the flywheel by hand as often they wont slip into forward again until flywheels spun a bit so the teeth in LU can get into place

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you haven't got the shift rod connector put together correctly.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im going to 2nd the rotating of the flywheel/prop.
But possible the shift connector isnt fully installed I suppose.

Also, did you remove the powerhead to replace the top seals while you changed the impeller?
If not, you should seriously consider it.

Crankcase Seal; Install

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Why would he remove the power head to change a water pump impeller ??

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod has a notch in it.----That notch MUST be lined up with the hole in the brass connecter before the bolt can be put in.---------If it shifted OK before pump work then it will shift ok after doing proper assembly !!

jake7788

Cadet

The shift rod has a notch in it.----That notch MUST be lined up with the hole in the brass connecter before the bolt can be put in.---------If it shifted OK before pump work then it will shift ok after doing proper assembly !!
Thanks everyone for the responses. Racerone I just went out and had a look at this a I had thought I had the connection as far down on the shaft as it would go.... but! After shining a light and craning my neck about 170? to see the bottom side of the connection through the quarter inch gap.... I see that the notch in the lower shift rod is indeed just below the coupler. So now I know what the problem is which makes me feel better but I think I'm going to have to recruit a second pair of hands to make this happen. Thanks again and I'll update when I get to get hands on again after work.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Another example of why a Factory service manual is invaluable.....R&R instructions for this are clear and concise.
I have a 1975 6HP. From memory, you have to reconnect the shift rod with the selector in reverse.
My manual is at the cottage so i won't have access until tomorrow.....if you don't get it done by Monday, I'll post the instructions from the OEM manual.

jake7788

Cadet

I hear you. I just had the motor given to me Tuesday. Ordered a manual Wednesday and it has not arrived yet. I pulled the lower shift linkage up into the forward position, spread the connector open a bit with a flat tip then slowly pulled the shifter toward reverse and it lined right up. Inserted the bolt (the real tricky part of this whole evolution) tightened and after a little turn of the fly wheel it shifts like a dream. Thanks for the getting me through until the manual gets here. The advice is much appreciated.