1974 Johnson Tilt and Trim Seep

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I rebuilt my 1974 Johnson 115 tilt and trim this winter. It is the tilt and trim system with 2 cylinders mounted outside of the motor (One is a tilt cylinder, and the other is a trim cylinder).I installed new piston rods, new piston/cylinder seals and new hoses.

In the process of rebuilding, I stripped a port on the pump housing, so I had to purchase a used pump and valve body assembly to replace it. Before I installed the "new" pump, I installed new check valves.

However, now I am having a problem with the motor seeping down. If I raise to full tilt, it will seep down all the way within ~10 minutes. No fluid leaks. I tried replacing o-rings in the shuttle valve and manual release, but had no luck. I also removed the return hose and confirmed that the seep is within the pump/valve housings, and not a cylinder seal.

Is there something internal to the pump that could be resulting in this seep? The only thing I haven't replaced entirely is the manual release valve (just did the o-rings). Is it worth replacing the aluminum part of that valve?? Only other thought I had is that maybe the shuttle valve is not "shuttling", but it doesn't seem like that is the problem.

Anyone familiar with these systems have any other thoughts? This is frustrating because otherwise it operates flawlessly.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

masterbt

Seaman
Re: 1974 Johnson Tilt and Trim Seep

did you flush system before repairs. if not you may have gotten a shaving from stripped fitting. may have cut oring in shuttle valve or in a check valve.

crestlinermusky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 Johnson Tilt and Trim Seep

Hey there, I have a 1975 Evinrude 115 that had power trim and tilt on it
System worked great except it would not stay up like yours, after 10 minutes
it would lower itself. no leaks or oil seepage. I flushed the system, changed the oil, did every thing
except rebuild the darn thing.
Ended up swapping out the system for a power trim unit off a 1985 Evinrude 115
Had a bit of rewiring to do but well worth it, now I've got Power Trim

Mark