Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

Jmac870

Seaman
Hey guys, trying to replace the propeller shaft seal on my 1976 johnson 9.9 (10E76G). I cannot remove the bearing housing as use in salt water seems to have it frozen in. Leeroys Ramblings mentions using a puller or slide hammer with a screw on the end to screw into the seal and tap with a hammer to get it moving but I cannot find any type of puller like this. Is there any other way to get these seals out without going to a pro to have the bearing housing pulled as I am at least 2 hours away from a marine mechanic. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

JDusza

Ensign
Re: Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

You might be able to destroy them with a chisel or screwdriver, enough to bend them and get them out. Be careful not to chew up the seal seating arrangement too much. You may also try a small drill through the seal and pulling it out with a metal hook. No doubt, they're a bit$%#!
J

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

This is obviously different LU than you are working on. I have never done this but this is part 2 of a 3 part series that might help.

Audio is bad but you can see what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlcXBxy_VY

Hey guys, trying to replace the propeller shaft seal on my 1976 johnson 9.9 (10E76G). I cannot remove the bearing housing as use in salt water seems to have it frozen in. Leeroys Ramblings mentions using a puller or slide hammer with a screw on the end to screw into the seal and tap with a hammer to get it moving but I cannot find any type of puller like this. Is there any other way to get these seals out without going to a pro to have the bearing housing pulled as I am at least 2 hours away from a marine mechanic. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance