1989 ish Johnson GT V6 150 tilt/ trim/sending problems Help please

cvw

Recruit
Over the weekended my tilt trim started to act up. It would work great then stop and didn't matter if it was up or down. When I would push the up or down button I could hear the relay clicking. A few time it just started working but the other times it didn't. I started to look for lose wires or something that would be wrong with the wiring and couldn't find anything. So I started to tap on the sending unit by the trim motor and everything started working. So ever time it happened after that I would just go back and tap on the sender and it would start working. After pulling it on shore I was looking at the sender and found it was gummed up so I cleaned it of and sprayed some wd40 on it. As soon as I did that the trim and tilt stopped working and is stuck in the up position.

I'm new to outboard motors and am not sure where to start in getting it fixed. From what i understand the sender only goes to the trim gauge (which I do not have)and should have nothing to do with this ?

Thanks for your help

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 ish Johnson GT V6 150 tilt/ trim/sending problems Help please

Try swapping the relays and see what happens.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

After you test (swap) the relays, try a continuity test on the switch on the control box handle. There should be a connector about 24" from the control box itself.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Sending unit has nothing to do with the operation of the tilt trim motor; you probably are "vibrating " the pump motor brushes enough that they start to work. Try "tapping" the trim motor with the handle of a screwdriver and see what happens. Good luck

cvw

Recruit

Thank guys for the ideas i'll give them a try.

dugganator

Cadet
CVW, did you end up isolating the issue?

I'm curious because I'm troubleshooting the exact same thing with my 79' Johnson 85hp. Tilt and trim will work for 2-3 seconds and cut out. I replaced the solenoid. I rebuilt the trim motor, and even rebuilt the trim/tilt unit with new seals. I've also cleaned up most of the wire leads. The one thing I haven't touched yet is the sending unit or the control box. I'm curious if this is the issue like mentioned previously?

New trim motor is on the way as well. This will rule out anything I missed rebuilding the trim motor.

If I'm not careful I'll end up with a new tilt and trim system...

cvw

Recruit
Thanks everyone for the help ! After reading your comments i went out and just tapped on the trim motor and it started to work again. So i ordered a new motor and received it this week and am going to install it this afternoon and see what happens. I'll keep everyone post. Thanks again