1984 Evinrude 150 xp VRO pump needs replaced?

Hello all, I am new to iboats and fairly new to boat repair. I have been working on a rebuild of my 1984 Evinrude XP 150. I'm close to having all the gaskets replaced with only the carbs and intake left. She starts up just fine, but won't run for long (guessing once carbs are empty of fuel). I have replaced all of the fuel lines and primer bulb as well, so with the exception of an carb issue I'm guessing that this is a fuel pump issue. It has the original 1984 VRO pump on it, but has had the oil side disconnected for years (bought that way and was told oil side went bad and tank was removed). My question is can I just replace it with a regular fuel pump or does anyone know if it can be rebuilt without breaking the bank. Have had no luck researching online and any help would be appreciated. Pump is the vro 150 174128, believe this the the first year they put these on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude 150 xp VRO pump needs replaced?

The 1983 model of your motor used 2 fuel pumps. You might be able to find a used set.--------But I never spend $ without inspection to see if parts are bad.----So take the VRO apart and see if anything is wrong with it.----VRO pumps are often replaced when there is nothing major wrong with them.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You've got 3 options. 1. Replace the VRO with today's current part number. 2. replace the VRO with the similar pump, but without the oil pump on it. It's a premix type pump. Will save you maybe $ 90 over the price of a full VRO type. 3. Put the old style dual premix pumps on from 1983 type model. You will have to install a second pulse line hose barb on the block to drive the second pump. (it's already predrilled on the front of the block. A dealer can help you with pricing.

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know a simple way to rule out the fuel pump as the problem. Just need to test the fuel pump side...would hate to spend money on replacement pumps only to find out that it was a different issue. Guessing my pump is the one I've heard reference to that can't be rebuilt...go figure. Also, not sure I want to put two used 83 pumps on only to have to replace with a new one later. Either way, I was wondering what single fuel pump would work as a replacement. Does it only have to be an Evinrude v6 pump (most I have seen are 60 deg and have a vapor separator) and will this type of pump work with the old lines? Working on the carb(s) rebuild today...hoping this will be the cure and I can avoid the fuel pump dilema...will let you know. Thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If motor runs better when you have an assistant operating the manual pump , you have performed a test of the motor fuel pump.-----------Myself I would just install a couple of pumps off an old 1965 V-4 and be done with it without spending a penny.-----Have good filters and a sight glass on them too.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump must supply enough fuel to run at WOT. If it won't that's a fuel problem and you should run a test: Have a buddy constantly squeeze the fuel hose bulb when running wide open. If it runs strong at WOT as long as he is squeezing the bulb-you may need to replace the pump. VRO replacement pumps: 5007423 VRO replacement pump. VRO look-alike (premix) without the oil side of the pump 5007422. Dual 1983 premix pumps 438559.

~Just wanted to update my progress, or lack of progress I could say. I ended up replacing the fuel pump as well as the remaining fuel lines down to the carbs. Turns out it was the fuel pump and an air leak in the brand new quick disconnect and a couple of the lines running to the carbs. She ran great for a couple of weeks then started having some serious issues that I believed led back to a bad rectifier. Tach started working on and off and eventually stopped working all together. Also the batteries started draining, leading me to believe the rectifier was going bad. The rectifier part number is 582905 and has 2 mounting bolts with 5 wires. The problem is that all of the recommended replacements look nothing like the original. They are bigger, have 6 mounting bolts, and come with a gasket. Any idea how this is going to work. Hoping someone has ran into this problem before. I’ve added a link to a site that shows the original as well as the replacements.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is possible that your powerhead is not an 84 model.---Or the electrical is not an 84 model.-----Does your flywheel look the same ?

I pulled up the schematics for the 84 and it looks like my ignition system is all original. I also went to a couple of different online marine stores that allow you to pull up the schematics for ordering purposes and they match as well. They all say that my original rectifier 582904 is no longer manufactured and should be replaced with 395204, 18-5825, or 193-5204 all of which have gaskets and 6 mounting bolts. My motor is an Evinrude 150STLCRD. I'm scratching my head on this one.

sorry, meant to say my rectifier is a 582905. The 582904 actually does look like the suggested replacements for the 582905. Still can't find a replacement that matches up.

found a used 582905 from a marine salvage on ebay. Think the suggested replacements at the online stores must be a typo. Can't go wrong replacing it with the original part. Will update if this is the fix.