84' johnson gt-150 timing adjustment

f-106-j75

Cadet
Hi ya'll, picked up a used ranger with an 1984 johnson gt-150. need to know how to adjust the timing on it without starting it if possible. all help would be very much appreciated. model # is j 150stlcrd. 3-carbs. looks as though the previous owner changed the head on it as it is black, and not white, as i remember the original was. is the idle screw the timing adjustment as well? and to adjust the timing, do i need to disconnect the throttle and shifter? all help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84' johnson gt-150 timing adjustment

The factory service manual would have you verify the timing pointer at the front of the flywheel. Then mount a special wheel (prop) to run the engine up to 5000 rpm's, under load-then check the timing on #1 and #2 cyls. These details are in the factory service manual. There is an alternative method called the Joe Reeves method, which is sort of static test-it's a cranking adjustment. You can find it in the first thread at the top of page 1 of this website, called the "top secret files". It will get you close and you don't have to start the engine.

f-106-j75

Cadet
Re: 84' johnson gt-150 timing adjustment

oakie, dokie emdsapmgr, i'll give it a shot, thanks for the input. i'll try to find a manual this weekend, could deffinately use one, again, thanks.