Flywheel destroyed my coil and armature 1976 25 hp evinrude

Mike bob

Cadet
Put new points and condensers in my armature. Put it together just reverse order i took it off. The flywheel turned hard and when I ran it full throttle I heard the loudest clunk and it died. I opened it up and frond the armature coil and flywheel ruined.
I ordered used parts, armature with coil and a new flywheel.

How do I prevent this and what is the correct torque for the flywheel???

Need a little help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel destroyed my coil and armature 1976 25 hp evinrude

Sounds like you didn't have the coils adjusted right on the armature plate.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with Boobie.

You just can't sit those coils on the armature plate and tignten them down.... There is a slight bevel at the top edge of the aluminum where the coil sits upon them. The metal vertical portion of the coils must align with the top inside edge of those bevels. This sets the distance of the coils between the coils and the flywheel magnets.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Flywheel nut torque is supposed to be 40-45 ft/lbs. Flywheel and shaft tapers must be clean and dry.

Mike bob

Cadet

I got a used armature on ebay. It came with used wiring, condensers, points and coil. I am planning on putting the new points and condensers that were on my old armature(since I just put them on), but not touching the coil unless needed per your instructions.
I have 4 shop manuals from the library, and none of them have the experience of the Florida outboard masters!
Thank you Florida guys.
I will let you know how it works out.

Mike bob

Cadet
Aligning the bevels of the coil to the armature plate is the key. My Evinrude started right up after putting all the used parts from ebay. Took it to the lake today and it works like new. Good for another 38 years! Thanks Supreme Mariners