Purpose of Passing Water Through Accelerator Pump Cover; 2003 Johnson 6 hp 4-stroke

JDusza

Ensign
Hi.
I have a question about a 6 hp Johnson 4-stroke I have worked on. I got the motor because it was totally submerged and I was asked to clean it out and get it running.
Once I got it running I noticed there was no water coming out of the tell-tale hole in the lower cover. I commented to the owner that we had no water out the hole and we should look at the water pump impeller. He told me water never came out that hole, not since he's owned the engine and not with the original owner as he was there when he bought the motor. He said something about there not being enough pressure from the water pump to overcome the pressure inside the accelerator pump and that was normal running and water shouldn't come out the hole unless there was a problem with the pump. He was happy with the spray coming out the above water exhaust.
I have never heard of a pee-pee hole not peeing. I asked the forum if water should come out the hole on the 4-strokes and there was a resounding YES! So, what's up with this 6 hp? Why would one think that water never did and shouldn't some out the hole?
BTW, someone has worked on the thermostat and cylinder head as evidenced by the gasket material, so, there's been some heating trouble along the line somewhere.
I'm stumped. I've since given the engine back as he is very happy.
Why does water pass through the accelerator pump? And why might it not on this beauty?
Thanks,
J

daselbee

Commander
Re: Purpose of Passing Water Through Accelerator Pump Cover; 2003 Johnson 6 hp 4-stro

What accelerator pump?

Point it out on the parts list for me please. Also, complete model number.

daselbee

Commander
Re: Purpose of Passing Water Through Accelerator Pump Cover; 2003 Johnson 6 hp 4-stro

Well, I'll be dipped in chit. It is there...#27, Accelerator pump.....even has a pushrod....

Are you saying that those nipples have water tubing attached?

JDusza

Ensign

Yes. Those nipples of the accelerator pump cover connect to water lines and one end is the pee-pee hole. Water comes out the block somewhere, through this cover, and out the tell tale.
J

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd call BRP customer service and ask them why.

JDusza

Ensign

Hi, Boobie,
Any idea of water should always flow out the pee hole in the lower cover? I think it should and the owner says it never did. If it never did, Johnson wouldn't put the cost of the components into the product. So, what's with this? Who can tell me about it? I think this little unit has a problem but no one else seems to think so. I guess I should stop kicking the bee's nest...
J
p.s., I left BRP customer service with a mail note. We'll see what happens...

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The pee hole hose or fitting may have some crap in it. It's supposed to pee when running to tell you the water pump is working. Keep us posted as to what BRP says.

JDusza

Ensign

Thanks for the reply, Boobie. I'm not going nuts...at least not over this. The line is clear all the way back to this accelerator pump cover. I think there's a problem with the water bypass in the crankcase. Maybe it's not going to be a problem and there's many happy days ahead...
J