1987 Johnson 50hp outboard **won't start up**

rcaplanist

Recruit
50hp Johnson outboard, I've run it a total of three times sense buying it about a month ago. Ran great, very smooth idle and everything. Since I've been building these two-stroke motorized bicycles, I apparently got used to buying ethanol gasoline for everything, and stupid me ran the outboard on ethanol gas?twice?without even thinking about it.

So live and learn, but here's where I'm at.
Engine won't start (duh) and for the most part, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I overheard a couple experienced boaters say it may be a problem with the starter. When I turn the key, whether its pushed in or not, it makes a whisper soft sound as if it were trying very hard to start up but never turns over. The starter cannot turn the large gear hard enough to move the piston. Now that may be some kind of damage from using ethanol gasoline, (which I've tried running non-ethenol through the engine with no success) but thats what I'm trying to find out through this forum.

Very new to the boating scene, and I've got a lot to learn.
All boat mechanics in my area are booked 4-6 weeks, and I'd rather learn how to fix it myself anyway.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks for your time.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 1987 Johnson 50hp outboard **won't start up**

Welcome to the forum. There is good help here.
I wouldn't think the ethanol fuel has anything to do with the starter. If the starter is turning over weak, the first thing to do is charge or replace the battery. You want the starter to crisply snap to engage and spin the crank. Remove the spark plugs and try the starter again. Without compression, the engine should spin freely.
Now, the fuel, ... If you have excessive water in the fuel, you'll have to decant it or replace it. Completely drain the gas tank and fuel line and start over with freshly mixed fuel. If you can, drain the carburetors, otherwise, you may have to crank a little while to get the bad fuel through the carburetors.
You can try to get the engine to sputter by spraying premixed fuel into the cylinders and then try to start. Remove the spark plugs and spray premixed oil and gas directly into the cylinders. Replace the plugs and try to start. The engine should try to run on that gas spurt.
Consider installing a water separator in the fuel line.
J

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Johnson 50hp outboard **won't start up**

Battery or dirty battery cable connections on the battery or the motor.