1977 9.9hp Johnson shift linkage frozen.

fishingsetx

Recruit
Just purchased this motor knowing there could be issues. Got it for a song and dance so i took a gamble. Shift linkage is frozen where it enters the gear case. Lots of corrosion in the void where the linkage rod enters the gear case. So far I've cleaned most of the corrosion out and started soaking it in wd-40 by spraying into the void and letting the puddle sit. Any tips or tricks to freeing it up? Judging by the lower unit oil, the gear case internals should be good (oil was almost black but no metal shavings or milky oil. From what I understand, this motor sat up for a while. Motor runs good, just wont shift due to frozen linkage.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1977 9.9hp Johnson shift linkage frozen.

Do you have the lower unit off?

fishingsetx

Recruit

Yes the lower unit is off. I have not disassembled the gear box. So far I have not been able to move the linkage at all or been able to turn it to unscrew it from the internal shift arm

fishingsetx

Recruit

OK, update, I got the shift rod to move down (reverse?). With some tapping with a small hammer while turning the drive shaft. Still haven't got it to come back up or turn. Prop shaft is engaged and turning very smoothly with the drive shaft!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try some ATF and Acetone mixed 50:50 rather than that useless wd-40.

fishingsetx

Recruit

Yea I've never had much luck with the WD-40 either but its what I had on hand at 9:30 last night. I'll give the ATF/acetone a shot tomorrow. Might even pick up some kroil oil or royal purple penetrating oil from work. If I can ever get the dang shaft free, I think the rest of the motor is solid. Anyone ever rigged up some kind of puller to the shift rod?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Shift rod is threaded in so turn it and pry it out.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Some vicegrips on the shaft might give you enough purchase to pull it outwards. Now that you have it moving downward, should be a simple matter to yank it back up...