Johnson 110HP 1989 Outboard

wjsj1952

Recruit
I have an outboard with very minimal use. It is old but has never failed me. It has been well maintained over the years.
I uncovered the boat and installed the batteries. I went to hook up the muffs to start it up in the driveway and to my surprise when I lowered the motor clean gear lube ran out behind the prop. It was not a drip but a small stream of clean oil.
I removed the prop and had some fishing line wrapped around the shaft. I removed the line. The seals looked to be dry around them.
I am thinking at this time it has to be the o ring on the bearing carrier. I pulled the carrier out. It slid right out using the puller. The case and the carrier were very clean non of that aluminum corrosion I have seen in other lower units. The oring had some pitting. Actually quite a few pits.
I have ordered new seals and o ring for the carrier as well as water pump repair kit.
I have never heard of the o ring failing on a carrier. Is this common?
When I stored the boat this past winter I had taken the batteries out before I put the motor down like I have in the past.
with the motor tilted up I am thinking the o ring allowed oil to seep through and accumulate in the exhaust cavity thus running out when I lowered the motor. I live in SE Ohio and we had a very long and cold winter here. would contraction of the parts factor in here. I would not think so but I am puzzled about this. I will appreciate any input you may have. Thanks Jim S

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 110HP 1989 Outboard

I'd say your on the right track given you found pitting on the o-ring. It may not be a part that commonly wears out but any part can wear out! Since you're that far into it I'd reseal the whole lower unit. Driveshaft seal(s) and shift shaft as well!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Fish line around the prop is a reason for the outer propshaft seal to leak. It is unusual for the carrier oring to leak. Good catch . If you buy a factory reseal kit, it will also come with 4 new carrier bolts-with new orings.

wjsj1952

Recruit

Fish line around the prop is a reason for the outer propshaft seal to leak. It is unusual for the carrier oring to leak. Good catch . If you buy a factory reseal kit, it will also come with 4 new carrier bolts-with new orings.

I am really surprised to see the carrier o ring pitted so badly. I have spent a lifetime working on mechanical items from diesel engines, tractor trailers and autos and a few outboards. I have never seen an o-ring pitted like this one. Anyway I will reseal it all. Need to get it in the water! Thanks for your input.