1963 evinrude 18hp fastwin impeller housing sealer

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
I am replacing the impeller on my 1963 evinrude 18hp fastwin 18302L. I have the Seloc repair manual for the motor. The first step in installing the impeller according to the manual is to apply a coating of sealer to the upper surface of the lower unit. Then it says to install the water pump base plate. So what is considered the upper surface of the lower unit? There is no picture that shows what the upper surface is in the manual.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 evinrude 18hp fastwin impeller housing sealer

I believe they mean to coat the surface that the impeller base plate sits on.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi ng. Welcome to iboats.Most of us here are not big fans of SELOC manuals and I've never used any sealant on my vintage OMCs and wouldn't recommend it. I run a '66 20hp, which is virtually identical to yours currently. While you don't need sealant, you do need to make sure that the fins of impeller are all turned in to correct direction. A bit of vaseline/light oil on the inside of the housing can help them slip into place. You'll also want to rotate the drive shaft CLOCKWISE with one hand as you lower the housing. Here are some great links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom with lots of pics. You can get any routine parts you may need for the job right here at iboats too. Holler if you get stuck.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1

JDusza

Ensign

You don't want to use sealer on any interior parts of the water pump assembly. I think they mean to apply a thin bead of sealant on the edge of the housing so when the housing cover is replaced the unit is "sealed". I wouldn't recommend it.
J

F_R

Supreme Mariner

And a typical Evinrude FACTORY service manual says to apply Sealer 1000 to the top of the gearcase where the water pump plate sits on it. That is because there is air (actually exhaust) in the area when running that may otherwise leak into the pump inlet side. Of course, Sealer 1000 is now 3M 847, but any sealant will work. Don't slop on so much that it is drawn into the pump. But you weren't going to do that anyway, were you? It isn't rocket science.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I will go against the general consensus here. I seal all of my impeller plates down for the exact reason Frank mentioned above. Nothing to do with water, really, more to keep air/exhaust out. They pump much more efficiently like that, you would be surprised. As stated, thin bead of 3M 847 along the upper ridges of the casting which contacts the impeller plate. Then, OMC gasket sealing compound on the threads.

I have probably done somewhere in the neighbourhood of a few hundred like that without trouble. I have had a couple that were letting air into the pump, making it weak. SO, I do it on every pump now. Not an easy thing to troubleshoot.

As stated, it is recommended in the OEM Service manuals, and the BRP mechanics that I know do it.

Last edited:

kbait

Commander

I've never used any sealer.. no issues, but after hearing FR and Hightrim above, I'll put a thin bead of 847 under the impeller base plate from on-now.. makes good sense - especially the leak troubleshooting.

Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I go along with FR and Hightrim. Used sealer for years.

kfa4303

Banned

Did 3M 847 exist 50 years ago? Nah, they didn't have it or need it then, so you don't need it now. It is however useful for sealing the gear case and oils seals. Besides, it's not recommended in any way by the manufacturer and can only cause problems for little if any gain. If properly installed, the impeller will work just fine. Less is more.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did 3M 847 exist 50 years ago? Nah, they didn't have it or need it then, so you don't need it now. It is however useful for sealing the gear case and oils seals. Besides, it's not recommended in any way by the manufacturer and can only cause problems for little if any gain. If properly installed, the impeller will work just fine. Less is more.

Sorry buy you are wrong on all counts there. It did exist, under different name though of sealer 1000, it is recommended by the manufacturer, and it does give you a gain of course, or why else would we do it?

Can you get by on some models without doing it? Well, of course you can. But there are some that I believe need it more than others, so you get in the habit of doing it on every pump. Im not sure of a model that the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, not that I have seen anyways.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I was looking at an Evinrude factory service manual as I was writing my previous post, just to make sure I was telling the truth. OK, admittedly the question concerns the 1963 Fastwin, and I was looking at the 1972 Fastwin manual simply because I had it uber handy at the moment. Not that it makes a big difference, the lower units were virtually the same.

EDIT: With that in mind, I dug in my book pile and the closest manual I have to the 1963 18hp is a 1965 6hp. Still says to use Sealer 1000 under the pump plate.

Last edited:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ive installed a few water pumps without sealer,
I got lucky the first time, it pumped just fine!
But not once after that.

Here is the jist of it;
Water Pump; Replace & Install

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
fetch

My impeller plate sits on top of the spot shown in the picture.Do I put sealant between the base and the impeller plate and another coat of sealant between the impeller plate and the impeller housing?
fetch
fetch

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
I got the impeller installed and tested it works great thanks to everyone for your help