1990 25 hp tracker wont run with #1 plug wire on, but runs on #2 cyl alone ?

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
1990 25 hp johnson tracker. new fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. new plugs and fresh gas. Is getting fuel, has spark to both plugs, spark is ok, but only runs with the #1 plug wire Off !!
This seems particular and I am slammed with fishin season opening in 2 days. Has anyone encountered this before? I recon its a sensor or timing issue, but gonna have to comb through the books if no one has a clue. figure you fellas here would be able to shoot this in a jiffy!!
Would very much appreciate any difinitive cures for this. Thank you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 25 hp tracker wont run with #1 plug wire on, but runs on #2 cyl alone ?

What happens if you put # 1 plug wire on ?? How did you check your spark ?? If you used the plug that tells you nothing.

Last edited:

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 25 hp tracker wont run with #1 plug wire on, but runs on #2 cyl alone ?

checked spark with spark tester, has good spark, spark is blue and gap is .028. dies when you put #1 plug wire back on. Has spark to both cylinders. Firing to #1 is wrong i suspect but why?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Timings out

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Got a timing light?
Check that the two cylinders fire at 180 degs opposed on the flywheel
check where cyl 1 fires on the flywheel

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice

yes have a timing light. could it be its just a few degrees off? I will pull the book on this tomorrow to check and adjust timing. if you guys have any other suggestions Im all ears. thanks again fellas you guys keep the boaters on the waters!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It would probably have to be more than a few degrees off to make the end stop the way you say it is.
Might be timing base or powerpack or magnet. Still might be something else! But thats what i would check first

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could coil primaries be reversed?

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled the flywheel and the sheer key was sheered and the flywheel had spun almost 180. replaced sheer key and put it back together and shazam! runs like a charm.
I think when it sheered the key and spun 180 it backfired hard enough to blow the fuel pump, which was the first thing I found wrong.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Might want to peer in and look at your reeds if you still have problems, they can go when timings out too.
Sounds like the proper torque wasnt used on the flywheel nut- very crucial thats correct, too tight you can ruin your cranks top and itl throw the flywheel off balance, too loose and you get what you got

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice

Roger that, I have to make another service call on this motor so I will recheck the torque when I do. the spring that holds tension on the max timing advance was wanked (but functioning) so have one on order.
Thanks again, you fellas keep the boaters on the waters.