1979 Johnson 100 HP Javelin Tilt and Trim Problem

iisonu

Recruit
So I took my boat out of hibernation to find that the tilt and trim won't work. The motor works and if I lift the motor up and tilt lock it so I can check the hydraulics, when raising or lowering (with the motor locked up with the tilt lock) I can see first the left and then the right trim shift raise or lower but not both at the same time. If I lower the motor down to the trim shafts if extended then they will retract when switched to lower, but will not trim up. The tilt ram will not raise at all. Just for clarification the electric motor does sound like it works and the shafts do extend and retract without a load.
I filled and topped off the hydro fluid, no air in it. What do you think is wrong and how can I prove it out?
Lastly, if I were to purchase a new tilt and trim unit, can I replace it without lifting the whole motor off the boat ie. could I do it with the motor set up with the tilt lock or would I have to use a chain fall to pull the whole motor?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Johnson 100 HP Javelin Tilt and Trim Problem

Could you clarify. Does the trim motor seem to run in both the up and down position, or only in the down position? Keep in mind your trim unit is one of the early models-a 3 wire system with a special trim box with a single solenoid inside. The later models (mid-year 1981)went to a 2-wire motor with a trim box that had two relays inside. The electrical system components between these two systems are not compatible. So if you go to look for a new motor, be sure whether you need a new (different) electrical box or not. These units are generally pretty bulletproof. It's worth your time to fully investigate your current system before you decide to scrap it.

Go'N'Gulfin 79

Recruit
1 more thing, he said the trim was missing something? Really not sure what any of that is? I don't mind spending time and money to fix it up...
I was just hoping that it wasn't a big problem or a Lot of money? My husband doesn't know too much about boats either. We live on the Gulf and he's hooked on fishing lol.. All I've heard is how much he wanted a boat. But never buys himself anything! Wanted to do something wonderful for him. I want it to be running when he gets it... that would be like giving a Christmas present to a child and say "DON'T OPEN IT!!" LOL.. I was praying that some of you could give me some good news?!? You all know a lot!! I need to learn a lot of info really fast!