Reading Evinrude wiring diagrams

goco

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 50 Hp and just purchased an official OMC service manual (P/N 503148) for it. I am having an electrical problem with the 50 so I went right to the back of the manual to check out the schematics, etc. The diagrams are very easy to read & all the wires are nicely color-coded but the components are not identified by name; only a generic-looking depiction/drawing of each. Obviously the starter, batt and alike are easy to ID and by deduction I?ve figured out others like the powerpack, regulator,etc., but there must be an easier way or a diagram ?key? as there usually is with the aviation wiring prints I am more familiar with. I'm not a boat guy, just a weekender & pulling some hair out with these prints. Am I missing something with the OMC service manual prints? Is there a doc somewhere that IDs each component in these prints?
Thanks, Greg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reading Evinrude wiring diagrams

When I first read this, I though you were nuts. But then I looked at the newest manual/diagram that I have (1989), and sure enough there are some parts shown that even I am not sure what they are.

I suggest you read the chapters that deal with whatever problem you are having. Knowing how it works should help decipher the diagram.

goco

Recruit

When I first read this, I though you were nuts. But then I looked at the newest manual/diagram that I have (1989), and sure enough there are some parts shown that even I am not sure what they are.

I suggest you read the chapters that deal with whatever problem you are having. Knowing how it works should help decipher the diagram.

Thats ok I've been called worse. I figured out the PP and regulator by doing just as you suggested but the rest are still beyond me. I just wonder if OMC did it that way to keep us shade tree-ers coming back to their (former) dealers. Anyway, I won't give up that easy. Thanks for your timely input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, now that you brought it up, the manuals are primarily written for the dealer's shop. They sort of expected that the guys working there have some sort of knowledge of what they are doing. Hopefully, they even went to training school on it. But hang in there, if somebody else can do it, by golly, so can you.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Just be lucky that you never had to use an early Volvo stern drive manual or trace out the tiny lines for a Yamaha electrical schematic.

Evinrude and Merc manuals are a lot more explanatory and contained more basic information, though Yamaha is improving over the years.