Motor hit a rock while moving. 1987 Johnson 88 SPL

tj06civiclx

Cadet
So on the first trip out this year the boat hit a rock that was hidden under the water. It seems to have hit the lower unit.

The motor is still running fine, and shifting fine, there is no oil leaking into the water. But we noticed water leaking out of where the lower unit connects to the midsection when the engine is raised out of the water. I don't remember water coming out of there before?

Wondering where to go from here... Is there a gasket that goes in between the midsection and lower unit? Does water usually leak out from there?

Thanks for any info!

Tim :facepalm:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Motor hit a rock while moving. 1987 Johnson 88 SPL

Water leaks out there on my 87 150 Johnny; there is no gasket at that seam. Hope you didn't damage anything from the rock.

a70eliminator

Captain

So on the first trip out this year the boat hit a rock that was hidden under the water. It seems to have hit the lower unit.

The motor is still running fine, and shifting fine, there is no oil leaking into the water. But we noticed water leaking out of where the lower unit connects to the midsection when the engine is raised out of the water. I don't remember water coming out of there before?

Wondering where to go from here... Is there a gasket that goes in between the midsection and lower unit? Does water usually leak out from there?

Thanks for any info!

Tim :facepalm:

There is always be a wall of water within the housing, no gasket and it is normal for water to drain from it.

tj06civiclx

Cadet

Well that's making me feel much better!

There is no oil leaking and everything seems to be running fine, so maybe we dodged a bullet?!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Any sign of prop vibration when running in gear?

tj06civiclx

Cadet

Everything seems to be fine, just noticed the water leaking out, but probably never noticed that before since we weren't looking for it!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you have fared much better than most people I know that hit rocks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Spin the propshaft slowly by hand. See if the end of it is out of true. If you can see it wobble, it will be a problem