1966 18 hp Fastwin - Crankshaft thrust washer

Grantspec

Cadet
I recently rebuilt my evinrude fastwin. It was having lean sneeze at idle and would die with throttle application. I started to replace the upper crankshaft seal as my research here indicated could be the problem.

I found the problem to be the float was installed upside down and it was not letting enough fuel into the bowl. Whoops! Wont make that mistake again.

But now my crank seal is FUBAR'd. Luckily I had already bought a new one during the course of the rebuild.

After many attempts to get the old crank seal out to no avail. I gave up, removed powerhead, and split the crank case. Old seal is out and new seal is in. Ready for reassembly and I can't remember which way the crankshaft thrust washer was oriented. It is a large washer that sits between the counterweights and the bottom crankshaft bearing with two lobes on either side that fit into recesses machined into the crankcase. One side is perfectly flat and the other is bronze in color and has what appear to be oiling grooves. The part breakdown did not reveal a proper orientation. Please see attached picture. I stuck it back in for the picture but this may not be the proper orientation. I know oiling is important on these motors and I want to get it all put back together properly.

Thanks for all those who help spread knowledge on this forum. It has been invaluable while rebuilding this motor.

Attachments

• thrust washer 2.jpg
    thrust washer 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

Grantspec

Cadet
Re: 1966 18 hp Fastwin - Crankshaft thrust washer

So looking at it today it appears as if the two oil reliefs may go towards the crank counterweights. But I would feel much better if someone would confirm. Who wants to take apart their fastwin? :p

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 18 hp Fastwin - Crankshaft thrust washer

Think about it----the washer does not rotate, because of the tabs. The crankshaft does rotate. So only good sense says the bronze bearing side (with oiling grooves) goes against the rotating part.