1989 Johnson 60hp bogging down

HLS85

Recruit
I have a 1989 Johnson 60hp, it runs fine but when I full throttle it Boggs down, but when I pull the lever back a little it runs fine. I've put a carborater kit in, checked the timing and checked the reeds. I've been working on this for a while any advice would be great

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 60hp bogging down

When you cleaned the carbs, did you check the high speed orifices to see if they were plugged or restricted?
When it boggs down, try pumping the primer bulb and see if it helps.

HLS85

Recruit

I've tried pumping the priming bulb that didn't work either. Thanks for the advice I'll have to check the orifices

HLS85

Recruit

When you cleaned the carbs, did you check the high speed orifices to see if they were plugged or restricted?
When it boggs down, try pumping the primer bulb and see if it helps.

I've tried pumping the priming bulb that didn't work either. Thanks for the advice I'll have to check the orifices

Come to find out we did check the orifices they are clear.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Hows butterflys positioned at full throttle?
Done a link and synch? With timing light check?

GCarlover

Cadet

The main jets are under the drain screws Just changed mine. Tight fit screwdriver. Some say they are seized. One was loose in mine. They can't fall out. Another check is for intake gasket leaks or reed housing gaskets. Use a card over the carbs to check for even suction and no spit back. Also hit the solenoid primer when it stalls. Could it be low timing setting also?