Johnson/Gale 6hp- wont throttle up

Neumann51

Cadet
Hi, i have a Johnson and Gale 6hp and just cleaned the carbs on both of them, they both start right up. They just wont rev up kind of odd that both of them do that, not sure if its the carb its self and be better off buying a new or anyone else have this problem and can help? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson/Gale 6hp- wont throttle up

Are you putting them in gear?

Neumann51

Cadet

Yes, forward, neutral, reverse stays at about same rpm. Forward runs a couple more rpm but not much at all, dont think it would move you in the water. Wide open it barely wants to stay running. I didnt think there was a way to change the jetting in the carb either. Just odd both of the motors do that and they both have they same carb.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is the linkage opening the throttle plate in the carb to the wide open range?
Are both cylinders firing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Many folks pick on / blame the carburetor for some reason.----------Most important tests are !---Test the compression.--Then test for strong spark as in does it jump a gap of 1/4" or more.----Answers to those 2 are the path forward !!

Neumann51

Cadet

Yes both have great spark, both are firing, both seem to have good compression by holding finger on plug hole although i havent put a tester on them, (not sure what they need to be) thats why im stumped. Just dont understand it. Thanks

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IDK, could be anything.
what was the state of the motors before the carb rebuilds?

Perhaps the same mistake was made reassembling each of the crabs?
Or
the initial setting for the high and low speed needles are off?

Maybe have a look at How do I adjust my carbs article under the Top Secret Files Sticky

good luck and let us know how you are doing / things turn out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Verify that the are actually RUNNING on both cylinders. "Great spark" doesn't mean the cylinder is actually firing. Remove and ground one spark plug wire and see how it runs. If no change, do the same with the other one. I'm guessing it will make no change with one grounded and won't run at all with the other one grounded. That is the good one.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Verify that they are actually RUNNING on both cylinders. "Great spark" doesn't mean the cylinder is actually firing. Remove and ground one spark plug wire and see how it runs. If no change, do the same with the other one. I'm guessing it will make no change with one grounded and won't run at all with the other one grounded. That is the good one.

+1 ^^^

After that, measure compression with a proper tester.
Your thumb will not give accurate numbers....and is very hard to calibrate. :)

AlTn

Commander

if the fuel/fuel tank was common to both during testing, that may require some looking into as well

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps there is an issue with the slip clutch assembly ( if equipped ) found just below the waterpump.....It will jam up if the spring is broken.

Neumann51

Cadet

Motors are both in good condition and are fairly clean, and everything looks goo on the powerhead.. replaced lower unit on one of them yesterday that has a working water pump, and as far as the carb rebuild mistake goes. I dont think it would happen as i could probably rebuild one with my eyes closed these are very simple compared to a larger boat motor or snowmobile etc. But maybe a possiblity for some people. And the needles being set. There is only a slow speed one which i set 1-1 1/2 turns out for a starting point. And as far as running on both cylinders ill have to check that out but i believe both are running cause when i pull the plugs neither of them are "wet" from not firing but ill check it out. The fuel tank isnt the problem got a evinrude sportwin that runs like a top off that fuel tank (except dogs are bad i believe in that sportwin as it jumps out of gear underload. Will run wide open in drum of water no problem put load on it and it jumps out. Nother day project) and the slip clutch im not sure but putting that different LU on that problem may be solved? Thanksfor the help guys

Neumann51

Cadet

So i got it narrowed down to fuel, because i sprayed fuel into the carb and runs like a champ. Not sure if the diaphram on the fuel line is shot? Because the primer bulb always goes soft?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Are these 2 separate motors or are you just referring to it as Johnson/Gale motor. Because Johnson and Evinrude did make 6hp from the mid 60's to well into the 90's and 2000, but Gale did not make a 6hp motor. Gale did make 5hp motors until 1963. Now Montgomery Wards picked up Chrysler Corp to make Seaking in 1965 and then the Seaking 6hp came to be or there about.

Can you supply the model number or numbers, so we can better guide you??? Would make things much simpler and you would get much better help and explanations.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

So i got it narrowed down to fuel, because i sprayed fuel into the carb and runs like a champ. Not sure if the diaphragm on the fuel line is shot? Because the primer bulb always goes soft?

If you haven't measured the compression as at least three people have suggested, you haven't "got it narrowed down to fuel".
You have simply determined that the engine isn't getting normal fuel delivery....which could be caused by a number of things....including low compression. :)

Neumann51

Cadet

Yes i understand with low compression that it doesnt get enough pull to pull more fuel into the carb. And yes i have itrunning now..took the "fuel pump" apart and cleaned it and runs just fine. But thanks..and yes the gale is a 5 hp but 95% of it is the same as the evinrude and the johnson..i gave up on the gale as of now just because i got the johnson running..

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Great news.
Love it when these threads have happy endings!