1976 Johnson 135 control not going in reverse

bobbyg843

Recruit
Hello all here's a brief description of what im working with;
I have a 1976 Johnson 135 outboard, ive put a lot of work into it and when I put it away for the winter last year everything was working great and smooth. This year as I was prepping it the control lever would not go into reverse, I disconnected it from the motor and still wouldn't go. I took the control box apart everything was intact and looking fine so I regreased the important parts put it back together and it was working fine again. After playing around with it the shifting became stiff and would not let me put the lever in reverse again (cable still disconnected from the motor). Took it apart again same thing, everything looked fine and put it back together and worked fine again. I was moving it through the movements for awhile and it was working fine. Hooked it back up to the motor still working fine. Brought it to a pond to test it on the water and wouldn't go into reverse again. Im about to take it back apart very slowly and different way to see if maybe the ball on the shifter popped out. If anyone has any insight on what might be causing it would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Johnson 135 control not going in reverse

I think what you're saying is that the control box jams up when you attempt to put the throttle/shift lever into reverse... BUT... that the engine will shift fine via its own linkages.

If so, the problem is the three tooth shift lever within the control box (Part #386542). The teeth have an extreme razor edge to them and occasionally the very tip of one of those teeth will chip off resulting in exactly the problem you describe. You'll need to look very close as it's very easy to overlook.