Troubleshooting warning horn system on a 1998 J115TSLECM

GatorMike

Ensign
My 98 Wellcraft came with a J115TSLECM, a buddy of mine had the same identical boat with an E115TSLECM. His motor was in a lot better shape than mine so when he repowered to a 4 stroke he offered to give me his Evinrude. It was a simple swap, just bolt it on and plug it in since the motors are basically identical.

My overheat horn had not worked for a couple of years on my Johnson. The horn on the Evinrude worked when it was on his boat but does not sound on my boat. Obviously the problem is between the helm and the motor. I never worried about the warning horn on my Johnson since the Johnson was on its last leg anyway but this Evinrude is clean and sweet and I plan on keeping it a while.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this system? I need to better understand the system. All I know at this point is you have a sensor at the powerhead with a brown wire then at the helm you have the horn and somehow it is tied into the keyswitch. Any information as to how many wires or the color codeing of the wires and where they leat to and from would be apreciated. Trying to trace it back through that bunch of spaghetti noodles they call a wireing harness is pretty dificult.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Troubleshooting warning horn system on a 1998 J115TSLECM

You could try putting 12v on to the horn to start with, might just be a blown horn