Stuck lower unit '87 140

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My lower unit is stuck and wont come off. All bolts are out and shift rod is disconnected. Its an 87 Evinrude 140. Does anyone have a secret to doing this . Prying and rocking did not work. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck lower unit '87 140

How many bolts were taken out in total at the lower unit.-----was it 7 ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral

put some bolts in loosely and hang a weight off it overnight

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you can hang it upside down off of the floor so that gravity is pulling on the engine and liberally squirt some Marvel Mystery oil on the drive shaft so that it runs down to the power head. Let it sit for a couple of days.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Solittle
Ive heard of people doing that, sounds good, just wondering whats the best way to get the oil onto the drive shaft?
Do you need to blast a can through a relief port or something?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the bolt "under" the trim tab?

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys it is worse then I explained. I took it over to a local small shop to get the water pump done and he is the one that told me it was stuck. This guy has removed hundreds of lower units. He told me he has never seen one this stuck. It looks like someone has tried it before. There are pry marks where someone has been prying on it. He told me he put a good hour into it and could barely get more then an 1/8 inch separation between the body and lower unit. He called me and told me the problem and I decided to bring it home before putting too much $$$ into it. I'm liking Solittle's idea on hanging it upside down. Can you give me some details?
Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Im interested in how it works too.
Id assume you would leave the bolts in loosely so it doesnt fall right down.
Getting the oil in seems like the hard thing to me, and also how to hang it as those cavitation plates can snap off as those motors arent light.
You can start by making sure the shift shaft is disconnected

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I have used a hydraulic puller to seperate these stubborn ones.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before I go too crazy I'm going to try hammering little wood wedges into the gap all around the lower unit. Tap them in a little further every so often until it gives. I'll keep the bolts in but loose and start it up. Maybe a lil vibration will help?? So frustrated I'm ready to take up sailing.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

yep give that a go, forward then reverse
I wouldnt recommend sailing if you dont want to be frustrated!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Starting it up and running it is a good idea and shifting it back and forth. Bang the lower end with a big rubber mallet when doing this.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got around to pulling the motor. I used a buddy's tow truck to lift it off, then we hung it upside down and shook the sh#t out of it. It didn't budge. so now its sitting upside down and waiting for the Marvels mystery oil to work its magic.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually Bonz...It is the EXACT same issue. Except I know this is a good motor with good compression. It would run great unti the overheat alarm sounded. Im going to hope running PB BLASTER down the shaft works. If not im going to go for the drill a hole method. Can someone tell me the best spot to drill as to not drill through anything important??

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
This is what I found after all the destruction. This may work for you.

Push the lower unit all the way back up. Put it in gear and put a block in the prop then try turning the flywheel in a counter rotation direction. The idea is that if the driveshaft spun in the crank you need to turn the crank and not the shaft so that the splines become aligned again. That's what happened with that 70hp and once the splines, or what was left of them were realigned it came right out. Good luck and I hope it works for ya!