Stiff and noisy steering? Johnson 4HP Sea-Horse 1984 J4BRCRM

I have browsed the manual I own and there is no mention of servicing the pivot bearing. Could anyone enlighten me?

Similarly for the swivel bracket, its quite tough to move.

Cheers, Tee.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Stiff and noisy steering? Johnson 4HP Sea-Horse 1984 J4BRCRM

I have browsed the manual I own and there is no mention of servicing the pivot bearing. Could anyone enlighten me?

Similarly for the swivel bracket, its quite tough to move.

Cheers, Tee.

There is a friction adjustment screw in the top swivel bearing. Facing forwards under the top of the swivel bracket.

There is a grease nipple on the upper swivel ..I'd expect one on the lower one too but its is not shown on the parts breakdown.

The tilt friction can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the nut on the tilt pivot bolt.

It should be very simple to unbolt the steering swivel bearing retainers and lift the whole engine assembly off the swivel bracket and then inspect, clean, lubricate repair the swivel bearings as necessary.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply Vic. So if I remove the 2 retainers I should see the bearings? Regarding the tilt mechanism, from just looking I can see there is rust and deposits... A remove and clean should fix this? Does it require any lube?

Cheers again, Tee

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you use any lube at all on anything, get some OMC Triple Guard Grease.