Johnson 1983 60 hp tilt and trim

Elh5050

Cadet
I have a 1983 60 hp johnson. The tilt and trim runs ,but want lift. I know it needs fluid. Where do I put it in at and is pennzoil ok? It has set awhile and has leaked out, please help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1983 60 hp tilt and trim

The fluid must be either the factory PTT fluid or a certain type of automotive transmission fluid. Another member would need to tell you which type. You CANNOT use automotive oil.

The engine must be in a full tilt posiiton when fluid is added.

When to add the fluid depends on what kind of PTT unit you have. If you have the type that has a lift cylinder on the outside area of the two transom brackets, the reservoir is usually just under the electric motor, in which case look for a knurled knob that can be easily removed that has a O Ring seal under it.

Other than that, you'll need to provide a few pictures of an accurate description of what you have.

Elh5050

Cadet

I mean pennzoil tilt and trim fluid. Thanks

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I am in the procesess of rebuilding one of these right now. To be certain we are talking of the same unit, has 2 lift rods, one on each side of transom. Pump/motor is on the starboard side.

If this is the same the OMC manual states, " The only approved fluids for this are OMC POWER TRIM and TILT Fluid or DexronII automatic transmission fliud" Couldn't tell you anything about the Pennzoil.

Most of the seals are still available and not real exspensive. Many of the hard parts are NLA. The port cylinder is the trim and the Starboard cylinder is the tilt. If it is leaking the seals should be replaced and then there is most likely air in the line, kind of like brakes, and will need to be bleed out. Long process.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If I can be of any more help LMK.

Another word of advise. On the trim cylinder is a fitting that is for the sending unit. Be very careful if you need to remove it as that is one of those NLA parts. Also if you need to pull that side apart be very carefull, there are 2 small brass parts that are also for the sending unit. those also are no where to be found. I know because I need one! It was missing when I took it apart.

Last edited: