1999 Johnson 90 hp outboard trim goes down but not up

So I have been experiencing a problem with the trim on my 90 hp Johnson. The trim goes down with any problems but every once and a while the trim won't go up. I got stuck at the ramp and had to use the manual release to raise the engine so could get home. When I got home the trim up worked. This has been happening intermittently for a little while now to the point it's becoming an issue. Anyone have any ideas of why it works sometimes and then doesn't?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1999 Johnson 90 hp outboard trim goes down but not up

ive never worked on that motor but the same thing was happening on mine. i fixed it by opening relay box and cleaned/filed connections

Bosunsmate

Admiral

switch may be corroded too especially if a salty

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I have been experiencing a problem with the trim on my 90 hp Johnson. The trim goes down with any problems but every once and a while the trim won't go up. I got stuck at the ramp and had to use the manual release to raise the engine so could get home. When I got home the trim up worked. This has been happening intermittently for a little while now to the point it's becoming an issue. Anyone have any ideas of why it works sometimes and then doesn't?

Might have a limit switch for UP. That is sticking

Doe moter whine when pressing up..or is it quiet?

The motor runs when going down but doesn't make any noise when trying to go up.

phillnjack2

Ensign

definitely switch problem somewhere.
is it only happening on the remotes or at the engine end too ?
it could simply be a dirty relay, I had the same but with the up.
cleaned the terminal on relay and perfect now.

phill

James R

Commander
Are the relays clicking when you operate the switch for up. If so disconnect the trim motor by pulling the connector apart that connects the relay output to the motor. Here you can rig some wire tails so that you can connect the motor to a battery directly. you can prove the motor is good or bad by this. The connector that you have separated is prone to corrosion so if the motor shows good clean the connector terminals. If the relays are operating and the motor shows good and the connector is clean then you have a relay or relay box wiring connection problem.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has already been suggested . Check up limit switch . Sticks sometimes .

phillnjack2

Ensign
sounds like what is mentioned above, the up lift limit switch causing a problem. just look at the movable plastic ring on the tilt tube and see if any corrosion stopping the ring from operating the micro switch. sometime s a little tap and a drop of wd 40 gets things moving with these switches, very cheap to replace at any electrical store.