Full throttle surge

Skeezix

Cadet
Well we got the old (1977) 70hp on the water today and it ran pretty well. Seems to run ok up to about 3/4 throttle, any more than that and it starts to surge. Ball isn't totally hard but isn't totally soft either. I was thinking either fuel pump, ball or maybe both. It's pushes a 1978 Starcraft 18' ss up to 36 mph and then starts to surge. Hard to believe it is hitting a rev limiter with that small a motor on that big of a boat. Anybody have any thoughts they would like to share? Thanks

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Full throttle surge

sounds like bad fuel pump or more than likely dirty carbs.
could be a bit of crud in the carbs from inside the fuel pipes if they are getting a bit old !!!

does it also do it if you pump the ball at higher rpms ?

phill

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would pull the high speed orifices and see if they are restricted or plugged, if so pull the carbs and clean them properly.

Skeezix

Cadet

I would pull the high speed orifices and see if they are restricted or plugged, if so pull the carbs and clean them properly.

Sounds good, thanks for the input. Will give it a shot and see where it takes me. Thanks to everyone!

Skeezix

Cadet
Rebuild kits have been ordered and am reading manual to prepare for the task. I ran it with the air box off and could see gas pouring out of the # 2 carb throat. Iam guessing that the float is saturated as a few solid raps on float bowl didn't seem to help. Could this contribute to high speed surge or would this create an issue thru the entire rev range. Thoughts?