new Throttle cable now wont go into revers HELP!!!

nickflo07

Cadet
I have a 1994 johnson 175 oceanrunner and recently i just put a new throttle cable I just now found out that one cable give gas and the other engages the revers and foreword. after i put the new cable on i noticed that the prop would still spin while in neutral so i called the boat shop and he told he to adjust the cable that engages the fw and rev. so i did and it fixed the problem with the prop spinning but now when i put it in rev. it wont engage to go revers. it still give it the gas but int wont engage but will engage in foreword. do i need to still do some adjusting?? does someone have a video or something i can check out?? NEED HELP!!!:facepalm:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: new Throttle cable now wont go into revers HELP!!!

after i put the new cable on i noticed that the prop would still spin while in neutral :

Its meant to spin in neutral.
Why did you replace the cable? was it not working right beforehand?

nickflo07

Cadet

I replace the cable because it was decayed and the salt water got into black cover and ate up the little wires that covered the cable so when I gave it throttle it wouldn't give it gas

It would spin as if it was still in gear even when I had the motor off and in neutral I would try to spin the prop and it wouldn't spin as if it was still engaged I adjusted the top cable on the motor side and it sit it back to neutral

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ok got it, i thought you meant you were spinning by hand.
Put your control into neutral and then adjust cable until you can spin pop freely by hand

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Have the engine off,

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Once you have done that, try f and reverse.
Adjust the cable towards the one it doesnt go in to.
Check your cable is extending in length approx equal from neutal to f &r

nickflo07

Cadet

ok ill try that

right now while in neutral it sounds like its wanting to engage so i think i dont have the setting on the shift shaft adjusted right heres an old picture and the arrows are what im taking about the shift shaft linkage was sitting to forward

IMAG1108.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If you have the cables disconnected and it sounds like its wanting to engage you need to fix that by adjusting the shift shaft as you say, as it wont go into gearr properly by cables without getting that sorted.
If its not done properly the gears and clutch dog will be wearing out quick

nickflo07

Cadet

the throttle cable and the shift shaft cable adjustment threads look referent right??? i may have them mixed up

i know when you go into revers the top cable either pulls or pushes the shift shaft but i dont remember. the way i have it set might be right between of it being engaged right?

nickflo07

Cadet

one of the threads on the cable adjustments are fine threads and the other is kinda thick threads
IMAG1161.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral

move the throttle at control box.Gear cable is the one that moves first

nickflo07

Cadet

lol im sorry i dont understand

Bosunsmate

Admiral

neither!
does motor shift ok with cables off?

nickflo07

Cadet

I haven't tried it with the cable off. So for it to engage in reverse the shift shaft has to be pushed back??

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I haven't tried it with the cable off. So for it to engage in reverse the shift shaft has to be pushed back??

yep. check prop spins free by hand in neutral

nickflo07

Cadet

Ok I tried it (with the motor off) in neutral it would spin freely, and in reverse and forward it will still spin... Boat when the boat is running with the motor tilted down in neutral it would spin but when I go forward it would go forward but not in reverse lol

nickflo07

Cadet

When I tried it with the motor off I had the motor tilted all the way up

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ok I tried it (with the motor off) in neutral it would spin freely, and in reverse and forward it will still spin... Boat when the boat is running with the motor tilted down in neutral it would spin but when I go forward it would go forward but not in reverse lol

cables connected or disconnected ?

nickflo07

Cadet

They were connected I won't be able to try it disconnected till tomorrow morning I left my tools at the shop