1976 25hp evinrude fuel pump

ekota kid

Recruit
Hello,
I need some advise on this one. I want to replace the fuel pump on my old outboard motor and been reading varying accounts of which part I will need. I have a 25hp 1976 evinrude model # 25602E and the part I been told is #388685 but been reading forums that a Sierra fuel pump model 18-7352 will fit, is this correct? even if it isn't the square type?. I've also read that that the Sierra part # 18-7350 will work, hence the confusion.The fuel pump # 388685 is quite expensive compared to the other ones.
Any advise on this one I need to order the part and don't want to order the wrong one, the fish are calling.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 25hp evinrude fuel pump

Make some effort to look at pictures of your fuel pump and pictures of various repair kits and contents.---There will be one just right for your motor.---An easy fix in my opinion.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here is what I know....and don't know. The square pump was produced by OMC with the hose nipples pointing in various directions. The large fuel inlet hose is no problem because it can be rotated to any of four positions. That leaves the small hose. If it doesn't point at some obstruction, it can be used, even if you have to re-route the hose. Sorry, I don't have good enough picture of the Sierra pump.

Sierra 18-7351 would be an option except the hose points straight down into the pan. You probably can't make that work (?).
Sierra 18-7352 is the same as 7351 except the outlet hose is large diameter----not a good choice as I remember the motor.

So, 18-7350 probably is the best choice-----it the hose direction will work.

Humperdink

Cadet

If you have the square pump i would suggest ordering a rebuild kit and using the info on leeroys ramblings to help you rebuild it. take a picture of it before you take it apart so you know which way the inlet/outlet should point. the square pumps are all the same, but the inlet/outlets point in different directions. The orientation of those dictate the orientation of the gaskets within the pump. any square pump can be taken apart and reconfigured to fit any motor that takes a square pump. should you order one and they are pointing in the wrong direction, use leeroys ramblings to take it apart and build it how you need it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Those little square pump are very good and very reliable.--Have been around for some 30 years of production. Also used as a vapour extraction pump on the late 90's johnson / Evinrude looper motors.---Repair kits are easy to find.