1972 25 hp Evinrude push button start.

rjguess

Cadet
I have a 1972 25 HP Evinrude outboard. My question is what do I look for if I want to set up this motor to start up with a push button start. The motor is in great shape but the wires for the key ignition are badly corroded and broken up. I can't see to find the original wire harness for that. I have been everywhere and they all say it is an obsolete item. So I won't to convert this fine motor to push button start, I just don't know what to look for. Thanks for the help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1972 25 hp Evinrude push button start.

Ive never worked on one of these.
Im sure it can be done.
First you need to look at the solenoid and find the wire that goes to the small +ve terminal. (the neg will be the small terminal that is gound out on to the motor right by the solenoid.
That small +ve wire will need to be hooked up front to one side of your stater switch.
The other side of your starter switch will need 12v to it from the battery.
Now if you have a electric choke then you will need a switch for that too, you can use the 12v line from the battery that you have run up front to power the starter switch for that so that you dont need to run two battery 12v lines up front.

The next part is easy but im not sure how it works on your engine. On some engines of that age you need to keep the magneto powered to run the engine and you ground it to stop it. I dont know how that works so someone should hopefully come along and give you the advice on that part but this above should be enough to get you stated.
Try running marine wire if possible, its a little bit more expensive but it has different elements tinned into it so doesnt corrode anywhere near as quick as normal wire.
Put in a fuse too

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Like this:

Attachments

• 18, 20, 25HP   Start At Motor.jpg
    18, 20, 25HP Start At Motor.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3

Bosunsmate

Admiral

FR
That looks the one. Just wondering what is that connected to in the magneto?
Is it grounding it out or something

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It grounds out the breaker points.

rjguess

Cadet

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the info. If I get this working I will reply to this post. Thanks again.

rjguess

Cadet

Like this:

I followed the diagram in the picture. My starter switch works great! My question is on the kill switch does it only stop spark to one plug or should it stop spark to both plugs. As of the moment when kill switch is in the on position I get spark out of both plugs. When it is in the off position I get spark to only one plug. Is this going to safely kill the motor. Thanks for any information. I greatly appreciate it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If you are grounding the breaker points i would expect itd kill both.

rjguess

Cadet

If you are grounding the breaker points i would expect itd kill both.

I did this. For some reason one spark plug is still reading fire. But, I put a little gas in it just an hour ago. Pulled the choke, pushed the start button and it fired right up like a charm! As soon as I turned the kill switch to off position, the engine died just like it would if it was the original key ignition being turned off! Thanks everyone! I am very happy!