Evinrude 140 water intake screen

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to do my water pump this weekend and need to replace the intake screens as well. I've been looking at old posts about changing the screens. It seems some outboards are easier then others when it comes to this job. My motor is E140XCUA. Is anyone familiar with doing this? Do the old screens get sucked into the motor when they crumble??? If anyone has a link to a video that would be awesome. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 140 water intake screen

Can't say for sure, but looking at the parts list, it appears like the screen can be replaced without removing the drive shaft bearing housing. No big deal if it can't. The housing should come out without a lot of grief. Notice "should".

Yes, a crumbled screen can go through the cooling system. I haven't personally seen one get snagged anywhere on the way through, but I suppose all things are possible. More likely would be all the trash that would go through without the screen to strain it out.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And with all of the flooding we have had in my area, the debris is way worse then normal. Its not just weeds and shells this spring.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a piece of the screen get caught in my thermostat and made my engine run hot. By the time the overheat alarm came on damage was done, had to rebuild the power head