re-installing fuel tank sender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
while pulling off my faulty fuel tank sender, 1 bolt out of 5 sheared the head off. (not enough to vice grip)
I have a new sender, gasket and screws, but am questioning is 4 bolts enough to seal it? problem Im having, its in a Wellcraft cc 19.5 with a "full" 50 gal fuel tank. don't want to drill screw out above 50 gal of fuel
opinions... Thank you,,, joe

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: re-installing fuel tank sender?

Can you get the vice grips onto the threads on the inside. Might not be enough room to work it. I've seen right angle vice grips and needle nose pliers. Four might seal it and maybe not.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the seal is going to leak it will leak with the tank full and tipped toward the seal. Put the sender in with the four bolts and tilt the boat up to flood the joint. If it does not leak you should be good to go, but it would be a good idea to get that fifth bolt working.

When your tank is down to about 10 gallons siphon it dry and over flow it with a hose for at least a couple of hours, then empty it enough to get at the bolt for repair.

Repair the bolt, empty the tank, and tip the tank away from the hole to vacuum the tank of any residual water and debris.

If you are going to go with the four bolts, I'd never put more than forty gallons in it.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If and when you get to the point of fixing/drilling broken bolt. Go out and buy youeself a lefthand twist drill bit. We use them at work all the time for removing broken bolts/screws. They normally work terrific and don't have to drill all the way through!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'd be leery against installing something as serious as a fuel tank seal with the improper number of bolts. Maybe nothing would happen, but then maybe more gas fumes and/or gas itself would escape too. In my mind, not worth the worry. So take the needed time and do the job right and boat without worries... If you don't have or want to buy a left-handed drill bit, try drilling with a little smaller size drill and use an easy out. It should work well also. But do remove it and replace it the proper way and boat safely...

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea I too am worried about the concept of using a drill on a tank that is full of fuel. :eek:

My first thoughts would be to empty the tank and then purge the fumes. The OP may be wanting to do that by using the boat, thus the question about 4 bolts versus the 5 bolts. In doing that approach, I would apply some gasket adhesive to both sides of the sender gasket to insure a good seal.

Be safe: :thumb:

Last edited:

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for replies!!!

cbillsupply22

Recruit
need to know how to check to see if it s the sending unit or the gas guage that is not working on a 97 aquasport 24/5 explorer thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
need to know how to check to see if it s the sending unit or the gas guage that is not working on a 97 aquasport 24/5 explorer thanks

No, you need to learn how start a topic of your own first! Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Two years old and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.