Pressure tank to single line pump conversion... to do or not to do?

a70eliminator

Captain
That is the question. I have an excellent running fisherman 5 & half with dual line and tank all original, lately I find myself having to trim and splice the connection end just about every time out, the line is amazingly soft and pliable for being over 60 yrs old, it's just getting to where it likes to split at the barb fittings.
I have a blown 4 hp evinrude motor of 60's vintage that has the little fuel pump attached with line to the carb bowl and was wondering if I should go ahead and use it to convert my fisherman rather than replace the failing dual line hose, is there any other advantage over the dual line set-up? Just trying to decide what the best move would be.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pressure tank to single line pump conversion... to do or not to do?

I don't think that 4hp pump will work on your 5.5. No pulse hole on your 5.5. There is a popular way to do it, if you must. You can also just buy a new hose. That is what I'd suggest. Hint: If you have trouble getting the new hose over the nipples, stick it in boiling water a couple of minutes.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

well if you feel confident about your tank.... just replace the dual hose which is available.

I just converted a 5.5 last winter and will try it out soon.

I used a round Briggs and Straton pump. I used the pulse nipple behing the carb to pulse the pump.
Purist don't like modifying these old engines to pump but I am not a purist. I had one old dual line tank dump 5 gallons in the boat (rusted out pinhole). I also did a 7.5 (1957) with a sierre 18-7350 pump mounted on a plate over a bypass cover. That worked really great

but... if money is an issue and you don't feel comfortable doing the mod. just buy 6 feet of hose.

just Google or go on you tube for excellent videos on converting old OMC's to pump.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I agree with F_R, if it's just a hose problem, replace the hose.