1972 Evinrude 2hp - How to clean carburator myself

aswadamson

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have a 1972 2 hp that used to run years ago and then started acting up (probably bad oil fuel ratio) and have not used since. So I am now working on it (got fuel tank cleaned and sealed as it had rusted) and also wanted to clean the carburator to makes sure it is not dirty an going be an issue?

Can I just open up and spray carb cleaner in it or do I have to take apart completely?

Also any other parts that I should inspect before trying to start it again (new/clean spark plug, etc...)

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 2hp - How to clean carburator myself

Take it apart completely, soak it in a good carb cleaner and get a repair kit for it.

cgorney

Cadet

Carb Repair kits are readily available on Crowley... Prob best to just get in there. The carb cleaner only does so much without spraying it directly in the jets. Some real bad carbs require soaking. These carbs come down to a handful of basic parts... not a tough job.

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice

It's actually pretty easy. If you get in there and do it, you will not have to worry about whether you really did get it clean. Parts are readily available and the procedure is pretty well documented on places like Youtube. Watch a few. They will boost your confidence.

Hi everyone,

clean the carburator to makes sure it is not dirty an going be an issue?

Can I just open up and spray carb cleaner in it or do I have to take apart completely?

Also any other parts that I should inspect before trying to start it again (new/clean spark plug, etc...)

Thanks,

Steve

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

don't soak the float old cork floats are sealed and carb cleaner will strip away the coating.

you can recoat the float with crazy glue or modelers DOPE if you think it needs it ..

make sure it is dry , sand it a bit and recoat .

vance14

Cadet

Don't forget to replace the water pump !!!!!!!!!!!!!

vance

aswadamson

Cadet

Thanks for the tips and advice. Btw, for the carb once I open it up how do I determine if it really need to be cleaned or not? also for the water pump does it have to be replaced or could it still be ok?

thanks again!

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once you get the carb tore apart why not just go ahead and do a thorough cleaning? If it has "sat for years" then it needs cleaned. And the water pump impeller is probably in need of replacement due to sitting, also how old was the impeller before you put the motor up?

Carb cleaning=probably needs it to run good

New impeller=cheap insurance

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

Cleaning the carb may... also require pulling the little dime size plug on top to clean the low speed drip camber.

It has 3 very small drip holes to feed gas in the carb behind the throttle plate during use in low speeds.

you need to carefully drill a small hole (detroys the plug) and pry it out with a pick dont drill past the thickness of the plug which could damage to carb cavity !!!!

clean the inside, inpect 3 small hole and when cleaned close up the chamber with a new plug in the kit.

center it and gently sqwash it down to flatten it and seal the chamber.
use a small bolt face , or a flat 1/ 8 inch punch center it in and tap it in flat... DONT CRUSH IT

seal the perimiter of the new plug with crazy glue or fingernail polish.

if you have no compressor to clean all orifices get a 3$ DUSTING can (used to clean Pc,s, keyboards etc...) from Dollar stores or Staples ..... air flush all cavities before reassembly

Last edited: