Performance questions 1967' Johnson 100 HPOutboard V4TL-13A

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to this forum and the incredibly smart people on here I was finally able to take my boat for its first test run! So I have some new questions.. The boat is 100HP, I know that's not at the prop, but I was really disappointed at the performance of the motor. It starts and idols fine but when I take off its really slow. I had 4 passengers maybe 650# and we could barely get a max speed of 11 mph (motor is on 1967', 19' hydro swift fiberglass boat). Before putting it on the water I pulled and drained the gas tank, put 16 gallons new 91 octane, I used the Johnson synthetic 2 stroke XD50 oil and 32 oz. sea foam (2 oz per gallon was recommended for 2 stroke motors). The boat has sat for over a year I figured that was a good clean start. We drove for about a good half hour with throttle completely opened still not much difference. At one point I stopped the boat and it actually died. I checked the plugs and they were getting a little wet. I dried and adjusted fuel mixture a little leaner. My speed dropped a another mile slower. We decided to bring the boat in. While I was waiting for the girls to get the truck my friend and I decided to take for a quick cruise around. This time it got max speed of 27 mph! almost 3 times faster than before, but still slow getting to that point. Our girlfriends weigh maybe 120 # so I don't think it was a weight issue. I checked compression it was hitting over 100 psi on all 4 and were in 10% range of each other. but its an old tester. I bought a new one and plan to retest.

When the motor was new what kinda of compression did it have? What is an acceptable range for this old motor? Is this motor worth redoing the piston rings with the psi it has now? Did it ever have good take off? The older motors could run OK with lower compression and leaded fuel. Do I need to do any major upgrades to the block, pistons or piston rings to get the compression needed to run the unleaded fuels. Am I completely off on the unleaded fuel thing?? I'm new to boat motors, but the mechanical end of building this motor shouldn't be hard so I don't mind dumping a few hundred dollars into it if I can get the performance I'm looking for out of it. This is a boat restore project me and my girlfriend are working on we dig the look of the old vintage motor on this boat so we would rather not replace it if we don't have to. but I dig speed also and ultimately that's what I'm hoping to gain from this work. I know its not a speed boat I'm not expecting that. but feel I definitely should be getting more power from this motor. Does any one have any input? Has anyone drove one of these motors when it was running great? sorry for the long post, thank you everyone!

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Performance questions 1967' Johnson 100 HPOutboard V4TL-13A

added thought:
The plugs are new, but Ive been using them to dial in the boat in my driveway. They have gotten soaked a few times. I usually just blow them off with compressed air and reinstall them. I have been told to replace them after they gotten soaked though, whats the story with wet plugs do I need to replace them? could this be causing any of the problems above?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Stop jumping around and guessing.----------What pitch is the prop ?----Is it 16" or more ?-------Have you verified that the carburetor high speed jets are clean ? there are 4 of them and they are about 5/8" long.-----Running a 2 stroke motor and hoping that somehow it will start running well is a mistake.---Remember that if you have a plugged carburetor the motor could be starving for fuel and then lean on oil also.-----------------Have you checked the weight of the boat ??------------Had a 66 model that used to run at 49 MPH on a light ski boat . Same boat ran at 54 MPH with a 1970 115 HP.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

I'm only guessing, but I think the pitch is a 11" or 12". I say that because I'm sure its the original one that came with it, again that's only a guess. The mechanic at the boat shop said that the only options were the 11" and 12" for my model and that 12" he couldn't even get. Should it be stamped somewhere on the prop? I have cleaned the carb out the best I could I soaked the jets and shined them up but they were not very dirty at all. so didn't do a full carb soak for a couple days. just a quick tear down, shine and put back together. I guess I hoped the fuel additive would handle anything I missed. im excited at the speeds you posted for your boats. I figured at least I should be able to get up to 40 mph. I actually got the boat form a friend and the the six years he had it 27-29 mph was his max.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't checked the weight. I did notice the boot around the steering rod was leaking and I had to use the bilge a couple times. I do suspect that I may have water under the actual floor because the stern appears to sit a little low in the lake. this is probably the wrong forum to ask about that though?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The mechanic at the shop is flat our wrong on the prop selection. Don't guess, look at the numbers on the hub and find out for sure. They offered props up to 18-inches in pitch in 2 and 3 blade configurations. A 19-footer with 4 people onboard and only 100 horses isn't going to be a rocket ship, but the proper propeller selection can certainly help.

That said, it does sound like you still have some running issues. You need to verify that you're running on all four cylinders, best done with a cylinder drop test. This involves removing one plug wire at a time and noting any RPM/speed change. Be sure to ground the plug wire so you don't cook the ignition.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Your mechanic is not up to date !!!!!!!---Which is not unusual these days.------The prop that came on that motor from factory was 16" -------Yes I have a bunch of those.--------- Also have some 2 blade bronze 19" pitch too.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

I'll find out for sure on the prop and post back shortly. I'll also perform the plug drop test. I'm on this forum because I've learned more about my boat in a couple threads than I could have spending hours at the boat shop. Thanks for all your help

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

update:
So I did some research on my prop. Its a Michigan Wheel part # PR-105-P (13 x 14).

I re-did the compression test with a new tester, it was much lower than the first time I tested it. Final Results; #1 50 psi, #2 45 psi, #3 50 psi, and #4 50 psi.The fist time I tested it I was around 90-100 psi. It was an old tester. A friend told me I probably cranked it over to long when I was testing it and that's why I ended up with wrong results.

I rechecked for spark with air gap tester everything had spark at 3/8" gap, it seemed inconsistent a couple times but I think it had a bad ground. When I pulled the plugs they were dry and looked a brownish color. all the plugs were this color, so I'm assuming everything is getting power. I was going to retest with jumper cable to the - battery but it started raining heavy.

I had the motor running and notice the water jacket and head gasket leaking. It wasn't much but the top of the head had small puddle forming and dripping down the side. So I'm sure I'm losing psi there. Is it possible I could get lucky and regain enough psi to run normal after replacing head gaskets and water jacket gaskets, or should I plan on doing a full re-seal? Has anyone done a rebuild on this motor? I need to get a service manual! Looking at the exploded parts view it looks like a complete tear down. Does any one know if its possible to remove the piston rods and pistons with out removing the crank shaft. Any advice on this project to get the most for my money? Besides blowing it up!

I think my next plan of action is to remove the heads and the bypass covers to inspect the pistons. I think I'm going to find it all needs to be done. I bought it from a friend who has owned it for several years he insists its never gone over 27 mph. I feel it was a warn motor from the get go, and the previous owner put a 14 pitch on it trying to get some take off out of the hole.

Am I'm on the right track here? Anyone have any input on my issue here. thanks for all your help !

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Something's not right in the compression numbers as that motor will flat out not run at 50psi. Your first readings in the 90-100 psi range sound better. In any case, your readings are pretty close to one another - also a good thing.

Likely not losing compression with your leak - just water from the water jacket. Might want to try torquing your head bolts a bit before taking anything apart. I believe they're supposed to be around 12-13 ft. lbs., but I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment.

If it comes to a tear down you MUST split the crankcase to get the pistons out. An OEM service manual is also required.